DOJ SLIP 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ SLIP 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:09 am

FWIW (which isn't much), on the HP side, Antitrust seems to be on a completely different schedule than other components - word is ATR is done with its interviews, and most of the other components started this week and go for two more after. And BOP didn't come up at all (so they could be doing something different as well). So while clearly some components are interviewing/have interviewed, if Deanna Willis says they're running late, some may have yet to get their acts together. Hope you hear something soon!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:38 am

Looking back, I suppose the offices that gave me offers had a very quick turnaround.

One office said they would get back to me in 7-10 days and got back to me in 3 days. Another office said they would get back to me in several weeks and got back to me in a week and a half. The 28-day expiration on the offers will allow them to extend more offers once people start turning them down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:32 pm

Update from Deana Willis at 4:50 pm today.

Hi, all:

This year's SLIP selections are running late and will be done on a component-by-component basis. We are addressing changes in the hiring authority for compensated student interns that took effect on July 10, 2012. Earlier this week, I notified candidates for EOIR. Unfortunately, I do not have a firm timeline on when other components will issue selection notifications.

Sorry for the inconvenience and uncertainty.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:07 pm

Edit: Which change is she talking about? I see that OPM promulgated a rule which goes into effect on that here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:38 am

So I guess those who haven't heard from EOIR this week are out. Meh.

futureattorney

Postby futureattorney » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:35 pm

gdane wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I got three offers from DOJ SLIP. I will probably accept Antitrust and do a split summer with another government agency. Anyone joining me in ATR?

This would be more helpful for everyone if you posted your stats.

Hello!! I accepted an offer from Antitrust Division (Civil Litigation Section) for the entire summer!! Hopefully we will work together!

futureattorney

Postby futureattorney » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got three offers from DOJ SLIP. I will probably accept Antitrust and do a split summer with another government agency. Anyone joining me in ATR?

Hello!! I accepted an offer from Antitrust Division (Civil Litigation Section) for the entire summer!! Hopefully we will work together!

futureattorney

Postby futureattorney » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not sure what is going on. It's a little odd that two people are claiming multiple offers, but there aren't any other reports of any status changes/selections for further consideration/interviews.

I had two interviews (Oct. 2 & 3) and received one offer (Oct. 12), but my status still reads "Selected for Further Consideration."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:16 pm

Anyone hear from any of the USAO components as of yet? My application still says "Current Status: Application referred to components"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:29 pm

"I had two interviews (Oct. 2 & 3) and received one offer (Oct. 12), but my status still reads "Selected for Further Consideration."

How were you notified that you had interviews via phone or email?

140orBust

Postby 140orBust » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:23 pm

Anyone hear from any of the USAO components as of yet? My application still says "Current Status: Application referred to components"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:10 am

Yes, I interviewed with and received an offer from Wyoming, and I interviewed with the Middle District of Pennsylvania.

futureattorney

Postby futureattorney » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:"I had two interviews (Oct. 2 & 3) and received one offer (Oct. 12), but my status still reads "Selected for Further Consideration."

How were you notified that you had interviews via phone or email?

First, I got 2 emails that I was selected for future consideration. Then, I received phone calls to schedule interviews. Finally, I was offered a position via phone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, I interviewed with and received an offer from Wyoming, and I interviewed with the Middle District of Pennsylvania.

What do you go to Harvard or something? I go to a T150, whats the deal?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:45 pm

"What do you go to Harvard or something? I go to a T150, whats the deal?"

:roll:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What do you go to Harvard or something? I go to a T150, whats the deal?

Negative. I already listed my stats. I go to a top-50 law school (not top-14), and my GPA has me as an unranked student.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:23 pm

Deana Willis, OARM wrote:There is substantial disruption in the timing of the SLIP. DOJ, and other federal agencies, are addressing changes in the hiring process due to the implemenation of the new OPM "Pathways Program" rules. These rules mandate specific handling of applications from candidates who are eligible for veterans' preference. We are working through that now on a component by component basis. I regret the delay. We welcome and value everyone's interest in the Department, but we also certainly understand your interest in securing employment for next summer. If you are contacted in regard to the SLIP but have made alternative plans, we hope you consider the Department of Justice again in the future.

Not sure exactly what this means. Are they only contacting veterans right now?

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Deana Willis, OARM wrote:There is substantial disruption in the timing of the SLIP. DOJ, and other federal agencies, are addressing changes in the hiring process due to the implemenation of the new OPM "Pathways Program" rules. These rules mandate specific handling of applications from candidates who are eligible for veterans' preference. We are working through that now on a component by component basis. I regret the delay. We welcome and value everyone's interest in the Department, but we also certainly understand your interest in securing employment for next summer. If you are contacted in regard to the SLIP but have made alternative plans, we hope you consider the Department of Justice again in the future.

Not sure exactly what this means. Are they only contacting veterans right now?

Not necessarily ONLY vets, but the rule has been changed so that vets have up to six years from the time they completed their degrees to apply, as opposed to two years for non-vets.

So my guess is that they probably have more vet apps to go through than they have in past years which is leading to the slow response time.

http://www.opm.gov/hiringreform/pathways/

The Recent Graduates Program provides developmental experiences in the Federal Government. It is intended to promote possible careers in the civil service to individuals who, within the previous two years, graduated from qualifying educational institutions with an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from qualifying educational institutions. To be eligible, applicants must apply within the previous two years of degree or certificate completion except for veterans precluded from doing so due to their military service obligation, who will have up to six years after degree or certificate completion to apply.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:58 pm

But SLIP is for students who haven't yet graduated, so I'm not sure how changes in the eligibility of veterans for permanent positions would play into this? (It hasn't changed the timeline for the Honors program.)

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:08 am

I would guess that the components are taking longer to review the extra vet applications that they have for the Honors Program and this in turn is delaying SLIP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:10 am

gdane wrote:I would guess that the components are taking longer to review the extra vet applications that they have for the Honors Program and this in turn is delaying SLIP.

Except that as I said, the Honors Program is on schedule and interview selections have been made for a few weeks now.

[edited to add: according to what Deana Willis has said, it's clearly something to do with how veteran's preference candidates are processed. I just don't think it's simply that there are more vets' applications than usual.]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:00 pm

gdane wrote: I would guess that the components are taking longer to review the extra vet applications that they have for the Honors Program and this in turn is delaying SLIP.

Hey, I'm the one who had three offers. I'm a vet, but I don't think that's why I heard back so quickly. I had interviews with all three components and it sounded like I was competing with other interviewers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
gdane wrote: I would guess that the components are taking longer to review the extra vet applications that they have for the Honors Program and this in turn is delaying SLIP.

Hey, I'm the one who had three offers. I'm a vet, but I don't think that's why I heard back so quickly. I had interviews with all three components and it sounded like I was competing with other interviewers.

What do you think explains the fact that you've heard back while the rest of us are in limbo, if not your veteran status?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:10 am

I would just like to note, for the record, that the SLIP application process and schedule this year has absolutely sucked. Not fun at all for people who have their hearts set on interning at the DOJ as a SLIP intern.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:29 am

Anonymous User wrote:I would just like to note, for the record, that the SLIP application process and schedule this year has absolutely sucked. Not fun at all for people who have their hearts set on interning at the DOJ as a SLIP intern.

It is what it is. There has been a hurricane, and government funding is in the air. There is also an election going on and a lot of uncertainty in government. The DOJ is not a firm. The big program is the Honors Program and SLIP is secondary. For what it's worth, there are some people who didn't hear anything until March for last cycle. It can be frustrating, but that is how government is.

Return to “Legal Employment”