Reminger, Frost Brown Todd or Dinsmore.

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reminger, Frost Brown Todd or Dinsmore.

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:56 pm

I'm at 2L. I have offers from Reminger, Frost Brown Todd and Dinsmore. What is the best bet for long-term employment? Which is the "better" firm? Thank you in advance.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amir N

Re: Reminger, Frost Brown Todd or Dinsmore.

Postby Amir N » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Last edited by Amir N on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:17 pm

bump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:36 am

I don't know much about Reminger but between Frost and Dinsmore, I would go with Frost. Frost is much better from a training standpoint. First there is their first year program. This alone puts them way ahead of any of their peer firms. But it also tells you how serious they take developing their associates. Second, their partner compensation is structured to reward passing off work to associates. As a result associates end up getting better work and more training because the partners aren't hording it for themselves. Compare this with Dinsmore with more of an "eat what you kill" model. The Dinsmore model may be great for partners with big books of business but it is not as good for associates because partners are more incentivized to horde work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:38 pm

FBT sounds like a better firm, and I would go there if I had the options. Disclosure: I had callbacks with both FBT and Dinsmore in Cinci last week.

Do you mind saying how long it took between the interview for you to hear back from FBT and Dinsmore, and your rough stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:27 pm

I think that FBT just re-did their hiring, training, hours requirement, and partnership track in order to encourage long-term relationships with its lawyers. That being said, in some cities Dinsmore has the better office.

I've never heard of Reminger.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:25 pm

I've never heard of Reminger before, but between FBT and Dinsmore, FBT is the better firm. It's considered to have better lawyers and "better" (i.e. more prominent) clients. (And at least in my market, better people to work with -- but both are nice.) Which city are you looking at? That can make a big difference re a lot of firms....

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:04 pm

By all accounts, FBT is a much better place to work. Someone already mentioned their first-year program, which I've heard is awesome. Also, Dinsmore in Charleston worked a guy to death.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you mind saying how long it took between the interview for you to hear back from FBT and Dinsmore, and your rough stats?

bumpity bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Another vote for FBT here. In my target market (Lexington, KY) it has the reputation of being the best firm in the city, and also the best to work for. Could be different in other cities though ... I really have no idea.

HTH. :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:22 pm

OP here. I accepted the offer w/ Dinsmore. The offer came within 1-2 days after my CB. I accepted Dinsmore before I heard back from FBT. It just seemed like a better "fit." I hope I made the right decision, especially after recently learning that FBT's SA compensation is higher than Dinsmore. Students at my school got offers at FBT within 3 business days of their CB.

As for my stats, I'm very near the top of my class at a second-tier institution.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I accepted the offer w/ Dinsmore. The offer came within 1-2 days after my CB. I accepted Dinsmore before I heard back from FBT. It just seemed like a better "fit." I hope I made the right decision, especially after recently learning that FBT's SA compensation is higher than Dinsmore. Students at my school got offers at FBT within 3 business days of their CB.

As for my stats, I'm very near the top of my class at a second-tier institution.

Dinsmore's Cincinnati, Columbus, or Louisville?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I accepted the offer w/ Dinsmore. The offer came within 1-2 days after my CB. I accepted Dinsmore before I heard back from FBT. It just seemed like a better "fit." I hope I made the right decision, especially after recently learning that FBT's SA compensation is higher than Dinsmore. Students at my school got offers at FBT within 3 business days of their CB.

Louisville. Why do you ask?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Had a callback from Dinsmore in another market that had all of those firms. Just seeing if you were a potential future colleague. And congratulations too!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Had a callback from Dinsmore in another market that had all of those firms. Just seeing if you were a potential future colleague

What was your CB experience like at Dinsmore?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:17 pm

[/quote]What was your CB experience like at Dinsmore?[/quote]

I loved it. Hit it off with the associates over lunch and really enjoyed the 4 interviews I had with partners. I was kind of expecting a colder atmosphere because the screening interviewers made it pretty clear that their compensation is based heavily off of individual origination/ "eat what you kill." Everybody's door was open - everyone was very friendly. What was your experience like?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
What was your CB experience like at Dinsmore?[/quote]

I loved it. Hit it off with the associates over lunch and really enjoyed the 4 interviews I had with partners. I was kind of expecting a colder atmosphere because the screening interviewers made it pretty clear that their compensation is based heavily off of individual origination/ "eat what you kill." Everybody's door was open - everyone was very friendly. What was your experience like?[/quote]

It was great--everyone was down to earth and genuinely seemed to get along well with each other. And at least in the Louisville office, I respected the fact that while Dinsomore has great compensation, they didn't see a need to construct an office that was more "flashy" than their clients.

However, I didn't learn much about their compensation model. Could you elaborate further upon this? I do know that their first year compensation is among the highest of the large firms in the region. Also, have you received an offer?

I received some criticism/disbelief from my classmates for accepting Dinsmore over Frost Brown Todd, but I'm fairly certain I made the right choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:59 pm

Congratulations on Louisville! I hope Dinsmore's Ohio offices make their offers soon. Or dings. Waiting sucks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Congratulations on Louisville! I hope Dinsmore's Ohio offices make their offers soon. Or dings. Waiting sucks!

Thank you! And I feel that. I was fortunate to get an offer from Dinsmore within 24 hours of my CB. Is Dinsmore your top choice?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Congratulations on Louisville! I hope Dinsmore's Ohio offices make their offers soon. Or dings. Waiting sucks!

Thank you! And I feel that. I was fortunate to get an offer from Dinsmore within 24 hours of my CB. Is Dinsmore your top choice?

It was my 2nd, but of my 6 callbacks, I have 5 rejections. So yes, it has absolutely jumped from #2 to the top choice now haha.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

It was my 2nd, but of my 6 callbacks, I have 5 rejections. So yes, it has absolutely jumped from #2 to the top choice now haha.

Haha, I hope you hear good news soon.

Return to “Legal Employment”