Latham v Jenner (both DC)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Choice?

Jenner
85%
Latham
15%

Total votes: 13

Anonymous User

Latham v Jenner (both DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:27 pm

I LOVED Jenner, and everything I hear about it, so I'm leaning that way. I want litigation, but beyond that I don't know. I largely just want to make sure I'm not missing something because I'm awful at making decisions/closing doors. I know Latham is ranked much higher but TLS wisdom says it doesn't mean much when it comes to DC, etc. etc. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: Latham v Jenner (both DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:52 pm

Jenner DC is a super, super good-firm, especially as a young associate. I do not think you can go wrong by picking them over Latham. In fact, I think you would be an idiot to pick Latham. Prestige is almost never a good reason to pick a firm, but they are as selective as Wachtell at my HYS and are very well-regarded by practitioners. The fact that you liked Jenner a lot more should be the nail in the coffin (although, honestly, it probably is one of the only good reasons to pick any firm). The exit options are great, but you should also keep in mind that it's one of the rare biglaw offices where you will have a realistic chance of making partner (this is a function of their selectivity, their leverage, and the way in which Jenner structures its partnership track).

This decision is probably as good an exemplar of why you should not use Vault rankings to choose between firms, especially those in cities besides NY and those with very different cultures, practice areas, and business models.

Anonymous User

Re: Latham v Jenner (both DC)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Jenner DC is a super, super good-firm, especially as a young associate. I do not think you can go wrong by picking them over Latham. In fact, I think you would be an idiot to pick Latham. Prestige is almost never a good reason to pick a firm, but they are as selective as Wachtell at my HYS and are very well-regarded by practitioners. The fact that you liked Jenner a lot more should be the nail in the coffin (although, honestly, it probably is one of the only good reasons to pick any firm). The exit options are great, but you should also keep in mind that it's one of the rare biglaw offices where you will have a realistic chance of making partner (this is a function of their selectivity, their leverage, and the way in which Jenner structures its partnership track).

This decision is probably as good an exemplar of why you should not use Vault rankings to choose between firms, especially those in cities besides NY and those with very different cultures, practice areas, and business models.

Awesome, thanks, I hoped to hear this. And thanks to all who voted. As a side note, I have also heard of Jenner being very selective, which is really interesting considering I got shut out of most of DC. Anyway, then I will continue being ecstatic and never look back! THANKS!

Return to “Legal Employment”