Mass Mailing at this Point

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass Mailing at this Point

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:14 pm

Does it make sense to mass mail secondary markets with no ties at this point? Striking out and feeling pretty awful about it. I've mass mailed NYC pretty heavily as well as Boston and some DC.

Should I try Chi (I know not a secondary but they seem to be slower)? What about places like CInci or Cleve?

My stats are pretty solid

Anonymous User

Re: Mass Mailing at this Point

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:16 pm

Chicago has been really bad... hard to get to. Where are you from? I am guessing East Coast, so have you tried mass mailing the smaller areas of East Coast. Think of Maine, Philadelphia etc. I think people have had an easier time with SF, rather than Chicago...

badaboom61

Postby badaboom61 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:24 pm

Can't hurt. Chicago seemed to be a shitshow this year, but why not mail as many markets as you can?

aces

Postby aces » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:40 pm

There are a fair number of smaller east coast markets that can be neglected-- think Philadelphia, New Jersey, Hartford, Providence, Stamford, Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Camden, Wilmington, New Hampshire, etc. Jobs won't pay necessarily pay $160K (although many of the PA/NJ/CT firms will at least start in the $120K range, which is not bad), there aren't too many starting-level positions available, and some areas can be rather insular, but if you're from the northeast you probably have some limited ties to at least some of these areas and there's usually less competition (and what competition there is tends to be worse-credentialed). Moreover, a lot of these markets (other than Philadelphia and NJ) are still towards the beginning of their recruiting process, so you won't be one step behind.

Return to “Legal Employment”