Will I get an offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will I get an offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:28 pm

Done all my callbacks (5) with the most recent being 2 weeks ago. No offers or rejections but a few firms have called/emailed to let me know that I am still under review/asking if I have other plans yet. Is this a good sign? What does this mean? Going crazy over here. Thanks.

ryanmot

Re: Will I get an offer?

Postby ryanmot » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Done all my callbacks (5) with the most recent being 2 weeks ago. No offers or rejections but a few firms have called/emailed to let me know that I am still under review/asking if I have other plans yet. Is this a good sign? What does this mean? Going crazy over here. Thanks.

Which region?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Maybe still. Probably a tough choice for them and they want to see if anyone will eliminate themselves to make their job easier.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:31 pm

No one knows. You could get dinged everywhere. I could tell you to just relax and wait, but if you do end up getting dinged everywhere, that's not what you'll wish you'd done.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:32 pm

ryanmot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Done all my callbacks (5) with the most recent being 2 weeks ago. No offers or rejections but a few firms have called/emailed to let me know that I am still under review/asking if I have other plans yet. Is this a good sign? What does this mean? Going crazy over here. Thanks.

Which region?

OP here. NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:34 pm

IAFG wrote:No one knows. You could get dinged everywhere. I could tell you to just relax and wait, but if you do end up getting dinged everywhere, that's not what you'll wish you'd done.

I know nobody knows. I haven't been relaxing and waiting I have been mass-mailing like crazy. Just weird that firms keep calling me to tell me that I'm basically on hold.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote:No one knows. You could get dinged everywhere. I could tell you to just relax and wait, but if you do end up getting dinged everywhere, that's not what you'll wish you'd done.

I know nobody knows. I haven't been relaxing and waiting I have been mass-mailing like crazy. Just weird that firms keep calling me to tell me that I'm basically on hold.

They're just being proactive and keeping tabs on their wait list. I know it's stressful to be in limbo. Try to distract yourself.

ryanmot

Postby ryanmot » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ryanmot wrote:

Which region?

OP here. NYC.

You're probably on a lot of waitlist/holds and your fate will be determined by other law student's choices, or you've got a bunch of firms that don't reject very quickly. Either way, start hustling and mass mailing. Start hitting up NJ firms as well and any other places. Best of luck; don't look back a year from now and wish you did more. You never know which firm will bite and give you a shot.

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:41 pm

OP, would you PM me?

ca$hmoney69

Postby ca$hmoney69 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:45 pm

IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
IAFG wrote: Try to distract yourself.

Get drunk...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:45 pm

ryanmot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ryanmot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
You're probably on a lot of waitlist/holds and your fate will be determined by other law student's choices, or you've got a bunch of firms that don't reject very quickly. Either way, start hustling and mass mailing. Start hitting up NJ firms as well and any other places. Best of luck; don't look back a year from now and wish you did more. You never know which firm will bite and give you a shot.

I'm doing all this. Have a few screeners set up for this week through mass-mailing. Can't figure out what i'm doing wrong though. Credentials are good. Why do I keep getting put on hold. Thinking its because of my non-top 14 school or maybe my boring personality.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:45 pm

I doubt it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:49 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I doubt it.

OP here. I agree with you.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I doubt it.

OP here. I agree with you.

Keep gunning mass mailng because your life depends on it. You might get lucky, but you are clearly second choice at these firms, and OCI wasn't all that great.

Bruin57

Postby Bruin57 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:36 pm

I got 2 voicemails from the same firm updating me that they still haven't met and I'm still under consideration. A week later I received an offer. My 2 rejections after callbacks I never heard from them till they rejected me. It's definitely not a bad sign they are contacting you. It shows they are at least still interested or they would have just sent you a rejection

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:43 pm

Bruin57 wrote:I got 2 voicemails from the same firm updating me that they still haven't met and I'm still under consideration. A week later I received an offer. My 2 rejections after callbacks I never heard from them till they rejected me. It's definitely not a bad sign they are contacting you. It shows they are at least still interested or they would have just sent you a rejection

Good to hear. I figured (hoped) this was the case but wish this would all just be over.

Edit: -OP

bigredforlaw

Postby bigredforlaw » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:22 pm

Is it me or are more and more big NY firms keeping applicants on "hold" this year? I've been on hold post-screener and post-CB. I didn't bother to follow up with the post-screener firms b/c I liked them less anyways.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:36 pm

I'm in the same boat except in LA.

I called the firm after two weeks and they told me I was still under consideration. A couple days later they email me and tell me they're excited about working with me but their class size is relatively small...pretty clear I'm on a waitlist. They gave me a 1-2 week timeline from the date of the email so I'm just waiting now.

Mass mailed firms and nothing so far...most aren't looking to hire or at least not yet. I'm pretty much screwed if this doesn't come through.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:49 pm

bigredforlaw wrote:Is it me or are more and more big NY firms keeping applicants on "hold" this year? I've been on hold post-screener and post-CB. I didn't bother to follow up with the post-screener firms b/c I liked them less anyways.

Anecdotally, have heard some big firms are trying to keep their amount of open offers down to protect against too high a yield. Many firms last year seemed to receive more acceptances than they had planned for (DPW and Dechert to name two). This means that more offers will go out if enough offers are turned down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:57 am

Luckily, I have one offer. But, I was in your situation a few days ago. Do not worry. One day, near future, you will check your email or mail to find an offer, and everything will be great. It is really rare to hear 5 callbacks with NO offers....however, it happens.

In general, I have noticed a lot of firms have put me in holding patterns. I get emails from HR every other day saying "we are still considering your package," which completely CRACKS me up. Things are JUST tight. Law firms do not want an unexpected high yield rate.

IT sucks......I feel for ya !

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:58 am

Had 9 callbacks last year at OCI and no offers. So it does happen. I would guess that you'll get one though. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:59 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:Had 9 callbacks last year at OCI and no offers. So it does happen. I would guess that you'll get one though. Good luck!

This terrifies me. I'm heading down a similar path. Did everything turn out okay with your job search?

IrwinM.Fletcher

Postby IrwinM.Fletcher » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote: It is really rare to hear 5 callbacks with NO offers

I mean, not really...esp if you didn't target dat NYC.

LawIdiot86

Postby LawIdiot86 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:19 pm

Five callbacks are very easy to go 0/5, especially if the firms are not known for a high cb/offer rate (thinking of S&C's alleged ~90% rate here). Also, there is some correlation to rejection in that it's very easy to mess up the same thing with multiple callbacks (not doing the right amount of research on interviewers, expressing interest in a practice area no one is hiring for, having the same mistake on your updated resume, being "awkward," etc.), so once someone is 0/4 with one outstanding, going to 0/5 with a peer firm is rather likely.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:Had 9 callbacks last year at OCI and no offers. So it does happen. I would guess that you'll get one though. Good luck!

This terrifies me. I'm heading down a similar path. Did everything turn out okay with your job search?

Worked for state AG last summer (minimally paid), got offer to go back permanently, but doing fed clerkship instead. So, yes, so far it's worked out.

Return to “Legal Employment”