Any point mass mailing NY at this point?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Any point mass mailing NY at this point?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:41 pm

Plenty of secondary markets are midstream on doing callbacks but I feel like most NY firms have completed them. For those if you going to answer with "what do you have to lose," when the application gets submitted to a recruiting@___.com address I'd rather mail another office that hasn't made up 90% of its decisions at this point. Obviously for firms with an online system or multiple office system I'm submitting to every office.

Anonymous User

Re: Any point mass mailing NY at this point?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Plenty of secondary markets are midstream on doing callbacks but I feel like most NY firms have completed them. For those if you going to answer with "what do you have to lose," when the application gets submitted to a recruiting@___.com address I'd rather mail another office that hasn't made up 90% of its decisions at this point. Obviously for firms with an online system or multiple office system I'm submitting to every office.

Yes and no, depending on what you bring to the table. If your stats are above median at top 14 (top 25% at t-20, make your own calculations), then yes. The higher above median, the higher the chances.
The thing is that NY firms have the largest classes, and they often fight for the same students. It always leads to surprises, a firm finding out that too many people accepted an offer from their peers. So, I do not think you are too late for NYC.
People have talked on this forums how at times in October firms post on simpliciy requesting summer associates, well those are the firms that were undersubscribed. You do want however to have grades good enough to challenge the pile that they have waitlisted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:50 pm

OP here

I'm a T14 transfer so my 1L grades are good. Your rationale makes sense - I'll keep applying.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:49 pm

Yes! There are firms that still do callbacks in November. It's still way early!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Probably not in my best interest to announce this, but I started a mass mail last Friday, and have picked up 2 screeners already. Low t14, (barely) above median, prior work experience.

TBF, got one through a connection, but there are still opportunities out there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here

I'm a T14 transfer so my 1L grades are good. Your rationale makes sense - I'll keep applying.
I was a T14 transfer last year and I mass mailed about this time. Snagged like 5 CBs off those mass mailings (although they trickled in through late Oct I think).

teabreeze

Postby teabreeze » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here

I was a T14 transfer last year and I mass mailed about this time. Snagged like 5 CBs off those mass mailings (although they trickled in through late Oct I think).

please PM me the names of those firms. Would really appreciate it, thanks!

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:41 pm

^
That poster is talking about last year. The firms that hired into October and November last year are not going to be the same ones who do this year bc it depends on which firms under-estimated their pull with students or the sizes of peer firms' classes, etc. For example, last year Firm X might have over-estimated its pull with students during OCI, extended many offers in September all to top 25% students, and was turned down by almost all students it offered, leaving it scrambling in October to fill its class. This year, having learned its lesson, Firm X might make offers more conservatively this year during OCI (ie, maybe offer more median students), and fill up its class by mid-September.

Or maybe Firm X still wants to try for top quarter kids this year. Who knows? FWIW, I have seen this scenario I just described. One year a firm will give five or seven offers, all to kids in the top third, and none will accept. The next year they make ten offers, none to kids in the top third, and seven accept. The firms are trying to calibrate their desirability to students, and sometimes they miss the mark.

This is a long way of saying that the firms that called back that poster last year may not be the same ones looking for more people this year. You are better off trying to find out from people this year who is giving CBs right now in response to mass mails. I think there is a mass mailing thread. As far as mass mailing NYC goes, start with Vault firms with big summer classes and work your way down. Then move on to NLJ 350 firms. Once you exhaust those, use martindale.com to find smallish firms and inquire if they have summer classes. Good luck!

Return to “Legal Employment”