Another SF/SV poll

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Another SF/SV poll

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:45 pm

I'm strongly leaning towards picking Ropes and Gray, with whom I have an offer. I absolutely loved everyone I met, and based on my gut, I could totally see myself fitting in. I just left that office feeling very excited. The only other firm I'm considering would potentially be Morgan Lewis. Any opinions on the firms? I know it depends on an individual's preferences, but I'm mainly looking at the main factors people tend to consider on these forums. Thanks!

rad lulz

Re: Another SF/SV poll

Postby rad lulz » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:14 pm

Well on TLS that main factor people seem to take into account is "exit options," which is normally an excuse for someone to choose based on Vault. So you could just do that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:30 pm

rad lulz wrote:Well on TLS that main factor people seem to take into account is "exit options," which is normally an excuse for someone to choose based on Vault. So you could just do that.

Thanks. I'm aware that exit options mean different things in different cities. Overall, Ropes is V-25 and Morgan Lewis is more like in the V-60 range, but Vault ranks Morgan Lewis higher for Northern California. But I'm also interested in staying at a firm permanently, and I don't know which firm would allow me to do that better (e.g. mentoring, training, diversity-programs, financial stability).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:50 pm

I don't know much about Morgan Lewis but I know that Ropes (SF) is doing pretty well in terms of corporate work and looking to expand. The firm relocated a couple of pretty big PE partners from Boston and NY to SF in the past few years and moved into new office space to accommodate future expansion/growth. I personally wouldn't hesitate to take Ropes over Morgan Lewis unless there's a specific practice group or something at Morgan Lewis that you're extremely interested in and that Ropes doesn't have.

Return to “Legal Employment”