Starting a non-profit for PSLF?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tedalbany

Starting a non-profit for PSLF?

Postby tedalbany » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:30 pm

I'm a 2L now and I struck out of OCI, so now I'm in the process of coming up with 'worst case' scenario plans...

Would it be possible to start a non-profit public interest org, put in the minimum 30 hours a week (even if the work isn't there at first? I guess just spend 20 of the 30 hours pushing papers around and doing busy work, and searching for clients which I guess does qualify as 'work'), and then discharge the loans after 10 years? I mean still be serious about the organization and all, and look for clients, but obviously there won't be much work the first couple years (aside from looking for clients). Then maybe just wait tables or bartend or something at night to pay the bills...

Just an idea.

ETA: I have no idea really how PI works so forgive me if 'clients' isn't the right term. Replace clients with wherever it is PI Orgs get work from.

The Duck

Re: Starting a non-profit for PSLF?

Postby The Duck » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:15 pm

Could you create a real PI and qualify? Sure. Keep in mind though, normally people working for PI get some money. How are you going to live for 10 years?

Could you create a fake PI and just do enough to hopefully fool the IRS? Enjoy jail... The IRS would eventually figure it out...or someone would rat you out.

tedalbany

Postby tedalbany » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:03 pm

The Duck wrote:Could you create a real PI and qualify? Sure. Keep in mind though, normally people working for PI get some money. How are you going to live for 10 years?

Could you create a fake PI and just do enough to hopefully fool the IRS? Enjoy jail... The IRS would eventually figure it out...or someone would rat you out.

I never said a fake PI. The minimum is 30 hours per week so figure out a way to work 30 hours or if there isn't enough business then maybe spend a lot of that time looking for work, if that qualifies as work. It'd still be a legitimate PI org. And like I said just wait tables in the evenings to provide enough supplemental income for the basic necessities until the non-profit picks up.

superiorwisdom

Postby superiorwisdom » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:32 am

The turn around time for setting up a 501(c)(3) is about 11 months after you file these days. In addition, the IRS has recently become much more stringent about approving 1023s, so it's probably a no-go.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:45 am

Thrift-store?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:19 am

I do know of somebody at a T14 who successfully started one and it is doing well. This person started one while a 2L so they were officially approved by the time he graduated. He eventually moved on to a law firm, but the non-profit is still going strong.

aces

Postby aces » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:38 pm

tedalbany wrote:I'm a 2L now and I struck out of OCI, so now I'm in the process of coming up with 'worst case' scenario plans...

Would it be possible to start a non-profit public interest org, put in the minimum 30 hours a week (even if the work isn't there at first? I guess just spend 20 of the 30 hours pushing papers around and doing busy work, and searching for clients which I guess does qualify as 'work'), and then discharge the loans after 10 years? I mean still be serious about the organization and all, and look for clients, but obviously there won't be much work the first couple years (aside from looking for clients). Then maybe just wait tables or bartend or something at night to pay the bills...

Just an idea.

ETA: I have no idea really how PI works so forgive me if 'clients' isn't the right term. Replace clients with wherever it is PI Orgs get work from.

Might be a stupid question, but why don't you work for minimum wage/for free at a real PI for 30 hours a week? Are PI positions that competitive that you have to start your own?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:04 pm

There are plenty of better ways to get qualifying part time hours since you don't have to be doing legal work. Janitors at a school count.

Return to “Legal Employment”