Herbert Smith LLP opening NY office for Lit? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Herbert Smith LLP opening NY office for Lit?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:41 am

They're doing a resume collect at Cornell and I assume other T-14 schools.

Would this be a good idea? 6 partners from Chadbourne, so I assume it'll be a small office... but then again, the chance to get in a small office, work directly with partners in a probably growing office would probably be invaluable.

What do you think?

HeavenWood

Gold

Re: Herbert Smith LLP opening NY office for Lit?

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:They're doing a resume collect at Cornell and I assume other T-14 schools.

Would this be a good idea? 6 partners from Chadbourne, so I assume it'll be a small office... but then again, the chance to get in a small office, work directly with partners in a probably growing office would probably be invaluable.

What do you think?
If you don't have an offer yet, just send your resume. You can always turn them down later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Bump. I just got a response from a resume collect from them. Anyone else? Looks like it was a mass-mail to see who's still available. I think it would be interesting to work in a small/new office. But I don't know much about arbitration/cross border stuff.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:39 pm

Anyone has any idea how many SA they are hiring. Looking at their size I will not be surprised if they get 1-2.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone has any idea how many SA they are hiring. Looking at their size I will not be surprised if they get 1-2.
Did they do OCI anywhere? Their website seems to indicate they did but, at least at Chicago, they only had a resume collect.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump. I just got a response from a resume collect from them. Anyone else? Looks like it was a mass-mail to see who's still available. I think it would be interesting to work in a small/new office. But I don't know much about arbitration/cross border stuff.
Got the 10/1 e-mail as well. I like the idea of this office as well. Has anyone received a screener invitation in the past day or so?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bump. I just got a response from a resume collect from them. Anyone else? Looks like it was a mass-mail to see who's still available. I think it would be interesting to work in a small/new office. But I don't know much about arbitration/cross border stuff.
Got the 10/1 e-mail as well. I like the idea of this office as well. Has anyone received a screener invitation in the past day or so?
I got an invitation today for a phone screener later this week. Not feeling confident about it since the office is new/I'm not sure what their work will be.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I got an invitation today for a phone screener later this week. Not feeling confident about it since the office is new/I'm not sure what their work will be.
I hear you. Can I ask if this was after a reply to the 10/1 e-mail? Trying to gauge my chances if I was pre-screened, or it was a complete mass-e-mail to all applicants. Thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I hear you. Can I ask if this was after a reply to the 10/1 e-mail? Trying to gauge my chances if I was pre-screened, or it was a complete mass-e-mail to all applicants. Thanks.
Not sure if this helps, but I mass mailed firm, and I have received no response.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I got the email on 10/1, responded that I was still interested, then got another email today offering me a screener. I don't think the first email was a mass email to all applicants. I have a friend at school who didn't get the email and I think she also did the resume drop on symplicity, but maybe I misunderstood her and she didn't actually apply.
edit: I am the same poster above that mentioned the phone screener.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got the email on 10/1, responded that I was still interested, then got another email today offering me a screener. I don't think the first email was a mass email to all applicants. I have a friend at school who didn't get the email and I think she also did the resume drop on symplicity, but maybe I misunderstood her and she didn't actually apply.
edit: I am the same poster above that mentioned the phone screener.
Thanks alot. The e-mail sounded like a pre-screen was done, so that makes sense.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:57 pm

Has anyone received an email asking if they are still interested, replied that they still are, and not received a screener invitation yet? thanks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:45 pm

is this for full time associate next year or for summer associate?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:12 pm

Can someone who has done a screener provide any insight?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is this for full time associate next year or for summer associate?
Summer, I did not get the 10/1 email :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:04 pm

Can someone mention who send the e-mail? Initials, or automatic sending from firm? Also, do we know the size of the class they are looking for? Are they hiring for their London US practice at all or just laterals in that office?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:48 pm

Rough stats and dates of application for those that did or did not get the e-mail?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Anyone interested in arbitration should go for it - from what I hear, their intention is to set up a solid practice group in NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:43 pm

I got a significant resume boost after replying to the collect. But since its symplicity I cant send follow up and thee is no us careers. Was not of the batch that got 10/1 screeners so ship has likely sailed.

But would it be kosher to call the NYC office explain and ask to whom I could send my updated resume?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone interested in arbitration should go for it - from what I hear, their intention is to set up a solid practice group in NY.
I do not get how SA can work into this. I thought arbitration was the territory of incredibly experienced people, former judges etc. What do SAs do in such groups? What do they research? Are we sure this is the sort of work SAs will be doing? I apologize if I sound stupid... it just surprises me.
Additionally, do they hire SAs in London for their US securities group. London is really where I want to be, but it seems that this practice is not available to SAs... or at least not in an easy way to apply via their website.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone who has done a screener provide any insight?
+1

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:47 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone interested in arbitration should go for it - from what I hear, their intention is to set up a solid practice group in NY.
I do not get how SA can work into this. I thought arbitration was the territory of incredibly experienced people, former judges etc. What do SAs do in such groups? What do they research? Are we sure this is the sort of work SAs will be doing? I apologize if I sound stupid... it just surprises me.
Additionally, do they hire SAs in London for their US securities group. London is really where I want to be, but it seems that this practice is not available to SAs... or at least not in an easy way to apply via their website.
They do hire SAs for the London Securities group, and I think they are still looking - but to my knowledge they only do OCI at the list of schools on the website, so if there's no careers contact on the website I'm not sure what you could do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can someone who has done a screener provide any insight?
+1
Bump, any insight? Also, did anyone get a picture as to when they will be doing callbacks/offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:16 pm

Have they started scheduling screeners? :shock: So dissapointed :cry: to not hear from them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:37 pm

Yea had a phone screener today. said it would be awhile before they got back.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”