Chicago Vault Firm vs. Good Fit Secondary Firm Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Chicago Vault or Secondary Market

Chicago
75%
Secondary Market
25%

Total votes: 8

Anonymous User

Chicago Vault Firm vs. Good Fit Secondary Firm

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:03 am

So im going to one of those midwestern T25s and its come down to 2 offers for me.

1, a fairly well known Chicago firm that pays market (160k) and would have very good exit options but I wasn't really in love with and 2, a firm that is top/near the top of their secondary market (think KC, Indy) that I LOVED but would have worse exit options and would pay much, much less.

I will be coming out of law school with no, or negligible debt and a SO with minimal debt as well who is happy and able to settle down in either city.

Goals: not entirely sold on going hard core partner track and would probably be much happier lateraling after 5-8 yrs and taking a reduction in hrs for a non-equity partnership offer.

So, ......what are peoples opinions?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Chicago Vault Firm vs. Good Fit Secondary Firm

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:So im going to one of those midwestern T25s and its come down to 2 offers for me.

1, a fairly well known Chicago firm that pays market (160k) and would have very good exit options but I wasn't really in love with and 2, a firm that is top/near the top of their secondary market (think KC, Indy) that I LOVED but would have worse exit options and would pay much, much less.

I will be coming out of law school with no, or negligible debt and a SO with minimal debt as well who is happy and able to settle down in either city.

Goals: not entirely sold on gonna hard core partner track and would probably be much happier lateraling after 5-8 yrs and taking a reduction in hrs for a non-equity partnership offer.

So, ......what are peoples opinions?
Sort of depends on practice area, but I think Chicago market paying firm is going to best the secondary market firm in almost all categories.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote: Goals: not entirely sold on gonna hard core partner track and would probably be much happier lateraling after 5-8 yrs and taking a reduction in hrs for a non-equity partnership offer.
If you're correctly predicting what you will want down the road right here, I think the Chicago firm is the right call.

What about the Chicago firm makes you hesitate?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:16 am

What's the practice area? What's the Chicago firm? I'm going to a Chicago firm and interviewed at and researched several of them. They're pretty different.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:21 am

[/quote] Sort of depends on practice area, but I think Chicago market paying firm is going to best the secondary market firm in almost all categories.[/quote]

Practice area would be very broadly Corporate or finance.
IAFG wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Goals: not entirely sold on gonna hard core partner track and would probably be much happier lateraling after 5-8 yrs and taking a reduction in hrs for a non-equity partnership offer.
If you're correctly predicting what you will want down the road right here, I think the Chicago firm is the right call.

What about the Chicago firm makes you hesitate?
I was just "ehhh" about everyone I met at the Chicago firm plus the hours, stress and the fact that the secondary firm is SOOO much more laid back and friendly.

As for which firm specifically, Im not entirely sure I wanna out the specific firms as of yet (sorry). But Chicago is one of the firms in the class below K&E, Baker and Sidley Austin.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Sort of depends on practice area, but I think Chicago market paying firm is going to best the secondary market firm in almost all categories.
Corporate and finance work will be vastly superior in Chicago. The secondary market firms and clients will probably eat up that experience in 4-5 years when it's time to lateral.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Sort of depends on practice area, but I think Chicago market paying firm is going to best the secondary market firm in almost all categories.
Corporate and finance work will be vastly superior in Chicago. The secondary market firms and clients will probably eat up that experience in 4-5 years when it's time to lateral.
Agreed, the firm OP currently has an offer at will probably available again later, along with other similar options.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”