How to contact lawyer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

How to contact lawyer

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi so I'm a IL at UVa. I think I'd like to do criminal law on the defense side for a firm. My dad goes to the same temple as one of the most identifiable criminal defense attorneys in the country, and got me his office's number. I haven't seen him since I was 16, but my dad considers him a friend. At 1 point do you suggest I give him a call to try to get something for the summer whatever it is. This guy went to a TTTT, and is so good at practicing law he's referenced in rap songs. I think if I can apply what I learn at a top 10 and bring it back to the nitty-gritty streets I can fulfill what I've realized my plan was all along. Do i call? Do i need to wait on grades? If I got a 1L working under him, i'd skip OCI.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: How to contact lawyer

Postby anon168 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi so I'm a IL at UVa. I think I'd like to do criminal law on the defense side for a firm. My dad goes to the same temple as one of the most identifiable criminal defense attorneys in the country, and got me his office's number. I haven't seen him since I was 16, but my dad considers him a friend. At 1 point do you suggest I give him a call to try to get something for the summer whatever it is. This guy went to a TTTT, and is so good at practicing law he's referenced in rap songs. I think if I can apply what I learn at a top 10 and bring it back to the nitty-gritty streets I can fulfill what I've realized my plan was all along. Do i call? Do i need to wait on grades? If I got a 1L working under him, i'd skip OCI.


Yeah, just go ahead on call. No NALP guidelines on this one.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273458
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: How to contact lawyer

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:16 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi so I'm a IL at UVa. I think I'd like to do criminal law on the defense side for a firm. My dad goes to the same temple as one of the most identifiable criminal defense attorneys in the country, and got me his office's number. I haven't seen him since I was 16, but my dad considers him a friend. At 1 point do you suggest I give him a call to try to get something for the summer whatever it is. This guy went to a TTTT, and is so good at practicing law he's referenced in rap songs. I think if I can apply what I learn at a top 10 and bring it back to the nitty-gritty streets I can fulfill what I've realized my plan was all along. Do i call? Do i need to wait on grades? If I got a 1L working under him, i'd skip OCI.


Yeah, just go ahead on call. No NALP guidelines on this one.

where do i bring the conversation? i can't just ask him out to lunch as i'm 400 miles away. essentially, if we compare jobs in this economy to sex, i'm basically just randomly asking him for sex without a first date.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: How to contact lawyer

Postby anon168 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi so I'm a IL at UVa. I think I'd like to do criminal law on the defense side for a firm. My dad goes to the same temple as one of the most identifiable criminal defense attorneys in the country, and got me his office's number. I haven't seen him since I was 16, but my dad considers him a friend. At 1 point do you suggest I give him a call to try to get something for the summer whatever it is. This guy went to a TTTT, and is so good at practicing law he's referenced in rap songs. I think if I can apply what I learn at a top 10 and bring it back to the nitty-gritty streets I can fulfill what I've realized my plan was all along. Do i call? Do i need to wait on grades? If I got a 1L working under him, i'd skip OCI.


Yeah, just go ahead on call. No NALP guidelines on this one.

where do i bring the conversation? i can't just ask him out to lunch as i'm 400 miles away. essentially, if we compare jobs in this economy to sex, i'm basically just randomly asking him for sex without a first date.


Well, you never mentioned the 400 miles part in your OP.

But whatever, sure, just call and ask. You're never going to get laid unless you ask first; otherwise, they call it rape.

Should I Transfer??
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:41 pm

Re: How to contact lawyer

Postby Should I Transfer?? » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:32 pm

I would call but not ask for a job right away. Just ask if you could set up a time to speak with him about his practice & mention your interest in criminal law. You have time to date a little.

The Duck
Posts: 481
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Re: How to contact lawyer

Postby The Duck » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:34 pm

"Hi, remember me...my dad suggested I call you...I'm a 1L...and will be home at Thanksgiving...would you be willing to meet to discuss the local legal market in X?"

Start there, then gauge receptiveness about the job.

If its been years, I wouldn't do it over the telephone. If he has some old bad impression of you, there is a chance you can dispel it now.

/aspergers




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.