Market Boutique Firms

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Market Boutique Firms

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:09 pm

What are people's thoughts on a boutique firm paying market price in NYC?

IAFG

Re: Market Boutique Firms

Postby IAFG » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:16 pm

Uhhh it depends on the boutique, the bonuses, the salary compression, the specialty, your interests...

Postby 071816 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:17 pm

The question doesn't even makes sense.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:17 pm

what do you mean by salary compression?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:18 pm

chimp wrote:The question doesn't even makes sense.

Alright, relax...I guess I mean in terms of prestige in the legal community + career sustainability

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:what do you mean by salary compression?

It's what happens after your first year e.g. do they give lockstep raises to 2nd-7th yrs

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
chimp wrote:The question doesn't even makes sense.

Alright, relax...I guess I mean in terms of prestige in the legal community + career sustainability

Last edited by nonprofit-prophet on Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:22 pm

I worked at a market-paying NYC boutique. Tiny summer class, so don't want to out self by naming the firm, so not sure how useful this will be.
Pros:
-Seemed like saner work hours, although hard to tell as a summer.
-Partners were very family-oriented and seemed to understand external obligations, although again hard to tell as a summer. However, all the partners seemed to know the associates' wives, husbands, kids, girlfriends, etc. pretty well.
-Good work. Lots of client contact, small case teams, etc.

Cons:
-Pretty insane expectations of high-quality work right out of the gate. Not a lot of hand-holding, which made the associates' lives pretty stressful for the first year.
-Almost no infrastructure. Apparently hard to figure out things from benefits all the way to clerical stuff.
-Edit: Salary apparently dips below market after year 3 (it's market up to year 3 because they want to attract clerks.) I have no idea how much.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I worked at a market-paying NYC boutique. Tiny summer class, so don't want to out self by naming the firm, so not sure how useful this will be.
Pros:
-Partners were very family-oriented and seemed to understand external obligations, although again hard to tell as a summer. However, all the partners seemed to know the associates' wives, husbands, kids, girlfriends, etc. pretty well.

Cons:
-Pretty insane expectations of high-quality work right out of the gate. Not a lot of hand-holding, which made the associates' lives pretty stressful for the first year.
-Almost no infrastructure. Apparently hard to figure out things from benefits all the way to clerical stuff.

The pros sound awesome! Did you end up working there as an associate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I worked at a market-paying NYC boutique. Tiny summer class, so don't want to out self by naming the firm, so not sure how useful this will be.
Pros:

Cons:

The pros sound awesome! Did you end up working there as an associate?

I was a summer this year. I have some public interest/government applications pending, but I'll probably go back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:37 pm

Pros:

Cons:

Worked at a market paying boutique in Chicago and found exactly the same. I haven't asked about comp after year one but I'm assuming salary compression is a reference to a move off lockstep

Return to “Legal Employment”