personality and free market system

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

personality and free market system

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:31 pm

I'm a bit of an introvert, but I open up a lot when I get to know people. I can go knock on doors and ask for work, but I also find it to be pretty draining. It will probably be a little bit difficult for me to decline work from partners even if I'm busy (try to please people).

These personality traits give me some concern about choosing a firm with a free market system. Thoughts? Do you really do that much "searching" after the first few months? Year? Can most of the skills required to succeed in a free market system be learned?

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: personality and free market system

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:45 pm

hi, the firm I worked for during the summer has a free market system. Like you, I felt awkward at first going around talking to people and seeking work. But after awhile, I really think everything just becomes very structured. Several associates and one partner began to routinely give me work and keep me in the loop about what is going on with different projects. It pretty much becomes me getting calls and emails from a set group of people at the end. The somewhat embarrassing door-to-door "begging" was only for the beginning.

About not being able to refuse work though, that I think depends on the people at your firm. People in my group were quite reasonable and they always ask about my capacity first before giving me work. Several times I was busy and they would understand and call other summers.

But I have heard of an associate from a different group was being a total asshole and even complained to the partner when a summer turned down assignment because he was busy with several other tasks at the time. So it really depends.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:52 pm

Networking and putting yourself out there is all part of being successful and being a grown up. As an introvert I usually don't want to do it either, but then I remind myself that it comes with the territory and people expect you to be asking/looking for work...getting comfortable with the idea can help set you apart.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:58 pm

the vast majority of firms are some form of free market whether they admit it or not (cravath and a few others aside). your career depends on connecting with partners and having them approve of your work. if a partner thinks you are a shitty/unreliable attorney they will get you off their cases even if you sign up via the assignment system. if you don't find any partners and end up using the firm's "assignment database" or whatever, you will get garbage work and/or miss your hours targets and be shown the door. those assignments are basically the leftovers because the partner's usual associates were too busy doing other better/more desirable work.

if partner X likes associate Y and wants Y on his/her cases, and Y is happy working for X, X will make it happen repeatedly and won't even bother using the firm's assignment system. why would the partner roll the dice on a random associate when they like/trust Y?

you need to be extroverted/outgoing enough in a free market system to get a first assignment. but once you get past that, it will all be about impressing the partner and getting his/her approval so they keep staffing you on cases. much the same as it would be under an assignment system.

tl;dr : the only difference between free market and an assignment system is how you get your first "in" with the partner (emailing/knocking on door instead of clicking through the database). after that, under both systems, it is all about keeping up a good relationship so the partner will give you work in the future.

LOLyer

Postby LOLyer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:01 pm

For your situation, it is absolutely imperative that you knock the work you're given out of the park. I'm talking masterpiece. Once someone discovers you're good, they'll keep giving you work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:37 pm

Very helpful responses - thank you

Return to “Legal Employment”