TTT Mass Mail

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

TTT Mass Mail

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:36 pm

I wanted to know if TTT mass mailing has ever worked for anyone. I'm top 10-15%. Job prospects at this point are fairly weak at my school. I'm thinking about just getting some tax law experience and trying to get into NYU/GULC tax LLM. I would be happy if that led to big4 80k - 100k or any decent job in tax. Any insight/advice would be appreciated.

Anonymous User

Re: TTT Mass Mail

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:51 pm

I am at a TT. Close to top 15% I would assume (school doesn't rank), LR, Solid WE, URM. Mass mailed about 70 firms (Primarily NYC & Philly). Not one bite. I think unless you are #1 in your class coming from a TT it looks bleak. I didn't expect to clean up, but I thought at least I could snag a screener or two. Prior to ITE top 20% from my school could snag you NYC Biglaw. Not anymore. I still have some solid options in my secondary market though, so it could be worse.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:55 pm

Yes it works, but you have to be realistic of the firms you target. I hate the term "TTT," if that's the way you feel about your school why did you go there? Also if you are not careful it will come off in your interviews and be a turn off. Most "TTT," as you and many others put it, are regional schools. And yes will have fewer OCI options than the more respected schools, however, that does not mean everyone who ever graduated from your school is flipping burgers.

First go to your CSO and ask what markets recent grads have been working in.

Second get on Martian Dale Hubble (through LexisNexis) and search firms in those markets. I would first look for firms that have practices you are interested in.

Third look to see how strongly your school is represented. If they are not, than you may want to put them lower down on your list. If there are none from your school than I would not target them.

Fourth look for firms that do not have OCI. If they have OCI, whether or not they came to your school, you are more likely out of luck because OCI season is finishing up. However, if there is strong representation from your school and you have strong reasons than send something.

The best times to do mass mailing are 1) before OCI--trying to get on with firms that don't interview at your school. 2) During the next few weeks because firms that might not be happy with its SA class might still be looking. 3) In December because smaller firms don't look at recruiting until after the new year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wanted to know if TTT mass mailing has ever worked for anyone. I'm top 10-15%. Job prospects at this point are fairly weak at my school. I'm thinking about just getting some tax law experience and trying to get into NYU/GULC tax LLM. I would be happy if that led to big4 80k - 100k or any decent job in tax. Any insight/advice would be appreciated.

Midwestern TTT here. I mass mailed practically every firm with over 10 attorneys in my Midwest State prior to and just before the end of the OCI screening process: 1 interview that resulted in a ding, tons of rejections, 25-30 "we are holding onto your resume, but have not started deciding what we are doing next summer, check back in January." I will certainly check back, but I assume these are also dings in disguise.

The problem is at a TTT, at this point in the game, everyone at your school who did not get OCI gig (this probably includes 90-95% of class, some of which will be top students)are going to be mass mailing. You should definitely mass mail, but you need to basically be MASS mailing, as in every single firm that you can. It is impossible to judge your 80-100k expectations w/o knowing where you live, but you need to start networking, going to bar association meetings, clinics, etc.

Best of luck brother.

EDIT: I focused on going down the list from largest to smallest firms. I did not bother with alumni/school ties. Hell the one interview I had was with a managing partner who went to a 'rival' school. Basically be prepared to sell yourself like nothing else. You cannot go into interviews as many of the t14 people here on TLS do with a handful of facts about a firm. At a TTT you are getting very few interviews, and the firms interviewing you know this. Come in showing you know the place (w/o coming across as creepy i.e. studying firm health .pdfs or regurgitating arguments the interviewer made in recent CoA or SSC briefs). The place I interviewed at, the partner genuinely loved me but said the other partners wanted to go with a t25 candidate b/c of the school's prestige... AKA, they hired from a school that nobody at the firm went to for LS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:30 pm

Top 5%ish at a TTT. Mass mailed about 200 firms in late July/early August.

So far 7 screeners, 3 CBs, on some sort of "wait list" for the other 4, but not holding my breathe.

But I do agree with an above poster... it's pretty late in the game as everyone (T14, TT, TTT etc.) who struck out at OCI is doing the exact same thing you are.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:56 pm

top 3% at Texas Tech. Sent to about 40 firms I would guess. 1 screener and 3 callbacks thus far.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:15 pm

I would mass mail firms in your local market and also smaller satellite offices of big firms. I have heard of some success with really small satellite offices of V100 firms because some of them don't do OCI, some just get referred from their bigger offices OCI screeners and some don't have a summer program every year.

LOLyer

Postby LOLyer » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:57 pm

It can work, but you're probably not going to get the big summer intern paychecks that the OCI recruits are getting.

Return to “Legal Employment”