Just how cheap is Quinn?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
anon168

Re: Just how cheap is Quinn?

Postby anon168 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:$18 seamless dinner budget cheap.

Doesn't that shit just get billed to a client anyway?

Some clients won't pay for dinner expenses.

And, truth be told, in this day and age of mobile computing, blackberries, citrix, etc., who really needs to stay at the office to work? Even if you are doing doc review, it's on a computer, which means you can do it remotely.

And QE has probably the most lax "work from home" policy of any biglaw firm out there. Most associates aren't there for lunch, much less dinner.

I see a herring, and it is red.

Counterpoint, if people don't have to make dinner then they can bill more. Even if they bill .25 hours more, that'll over double whatever dinner would cost.

But I think IAFG is on point, they aren't cheap when it comes to bonuses.

And their LA office looked nice enough to me.

I seriously hope you meant that facetiously.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:49 pm

anon168 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
anon168 wrote:Some clients won't pay for dinner expenses.

And, truth be told, in this day and age of mobile computing, blackberries, citrix, etc., who really needs to stay at the office to work? Even if you are doing doc review, it's on a computer, which means you can do it remotely.

And QE has probably the most lax "work from home" policy of any biglaw firm out there. Most associates aren't there for lunch, much less dinner.

Counterpoint, if people don't have to make dinner then they can bill more. Even if they bill .25 hours more, that'll over double whatever dinner would cost.

But I think IAFG is on point, they aren't cheap when it comes to bonuses.

And their LA office looked nice enough to me.

I seriously hope you meant that facetiously.
[/quote]

Why would that be facetious. .25 hours @400 an hour is 100bucks, which is over double whatever a dinner would cost. Even Mac and Cheese takes that long (fuck EASYMAC)

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:51 pm

anon168 wrote:I seriously hope you meant that facetiously.

Not sure why you think thats facetious. Seems quite true to me.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, the space was just absolutely bear bones.

--ImageRemoved--

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:53 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Why would that be facetious. .25 hours @400 an hour is 100bucks, which is over double whatever a dinner would cost. Even Mac and Cheese takes that long (fuck EASYMAC)

I believe it has already been established that dinner will cost no more than $18.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:54 pm

anon168 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:$18 seamless dinner budget cheap.

Doesn't that shit just get billed to a client anyway?

Some clients won't pay for dinner expenses. And don't forget, QE does alot of cases on contingency, and those clients don't pay for nothin'.

Let's see... My firm is $40 and I can eat at home. But yes, that's totally a red herring.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:43 am

IAFG wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

I believe it has already been established that dinner will cost no more than $18.

Tbf, I'd use way less than 18 if I could cop dat dollar menu.

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:02 am

I have a friend who is in his second year with Quinn. He said they are not cheap but they are not as extravagant as other firms so the people that end to notice/complain about it are laterals.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:11 am

EvilClinton wrote:I have a friend who is in his second year with Quinn. He said they are not cheap but they are not as extravagant as other firms so the people that end to notice/complain about it are laterals.

Is there free coffee at the offices? Please say there is at least coffee.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:I have a friend who is in his second year with Quinn. He said they are not cheap but they are not as extravagant as other firms so the people that end to notice/complain about it are laterals.

Is there free coffee at the offices? Please say there is at least coffee.

Yes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:15 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is there free coffee at the offices? Please say there is at least coffee.

Yes.

What kind of coffee? Espresso? Crappy instant machine? (Anonymous because I'm deciding between Quinn and another firm and this is a dealbreaker.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:18 pm

According to TLS, "The offices feature in-house coffee bars and cafeterias, as well as a casual dress code." (http://www.top-law-schools.com/quinn-emanuel.html. I can't imagine the SF and SV offices have in-house coffee bars and cafeterias.

Edit: Also, "Associates billing less than 200 hours a month will have their name added to a “low hours list” that is sent to John Quinn each month." Really?

Return to “Legal Employment”