3L Callback Interviews

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

3L Callback Interviews

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:36 pm

How long should we expect before hearing back from 3L callback interviews? Should I expect the same timing as a 2L interview?

It would be very helpful to hear from those ppl who did callbacks and have heard back already. Which firm did you interview with? How long did it take to hear back? Do firms wait until November 1 before giving out offers to 3L's?

Thanks!

LawIdiot86

Re: 3L Callback Interviews

Postby LawIdiot86 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How long should we expect before hearing back from 3L callback interviews? Should I expect the same timing as a 2L interview?

It would be very helpful to hear from those ppl who did callbacks and have heard back already. Which firm did you interview with? How long did it take to hear back? Do firms wait until November 1 before giving out offers to 3L's?

Thanks!

Many of the firms I've spoken with said they are waiting until November 1 to do interviews or make offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:27 pm

There have been a small number of CBs and offers that I know of, but I would suspect there to be more throughout the year if either classes shrink due to unforeseen circumstances or business picks up for some firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:40 pm

I've had two offers so far as a 3L. One offer came 5 weeks after CB; another came same day as CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:27 pm

Had one CB through OCI.

Dinged two weeks later.

At this point, it all seems a hopeless endeavor.

Gorki

Postby Gorki » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:32 pm

2L here, but was wondering if those of you who have offers are "trading up" or w/e and had 2L SAs. Did anyone succeed at 3L OCI w/something less than an SA.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:33 pm

Gorki wrote:2L here, but was wondering if those of you who have offers are "trading up" or w/e and had 2L SAs. Did anyone succeed at 3L OCI w/something less than an SA.

If firms are holding out til Nov 1, they must plan on hiring people who didn't have SAs

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:36 pm

Gorki wrote:2L here, but was wondering if those of you who have offers are "trading up" or w/e and had 2L SAs. Did anyone succeed at 3L OCI w/something less than an SA.

I successfully "traded up" this year, and I don't know any 3Ls who have gotten offers who were not either 2L SAs or IP. I do know that my new firm called back some people who did not have 2L SAs (not sure if they got offers), but they all had very good 2L summer jobs (SEC, clerking with famous judges, etc).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I successfully "traded up" this year, and I don't know any 3Ls who have gotten offers who were not either 2L SAs or IP. I do know that my new firm called back some people who did not have 2L SAs (not sure if they got offers), but they all had very good 2L summer jobs (SEC, clerking with famous judges, etc).

Congrats, can you talk about how the process went for you? I have an SA position but I'm considering interviewing next year. I'd especially be interested in knowing how many firms were looking for 3L's and whether the positions available were in specific/niche areas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:47 pm

I'd like to hear more about this as well. I got shut out of my preferred major market at OCI but landed a V50 in another major market. What are my chances of coming back to that first market?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats, can you talk about how the process went for you? I have an SA position but I'm considering interviewing next year. I'd especially be interested in knowing how many firms were looking for 3L's and whether the positions available were in specific/niche areas.

This!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This!

bump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:27 am

What's Skadden's turnaround time for 3Ls? Had a callback and thought it went well but radio silence since then. Other callbacks have been next day offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:50 am

^
I am a 3L who had a Skadden CB on a Friday and received the offer the following Wednesday. Basically wrt Skadden 3L hiring this year I think it is pretty much like hiring 2L year in that they are making rolling offers. However, just as in 2L hiring, there are always people who fall through the cracks because their interviewers don't turn in their reviews on time or because they are on a waiting list and will get offers if others don't accept their offers. You are not out until you have the rejection letter (email?) in hand. Good luck!

Oh, and I don't know if the way you felt about the CB matters much...I felt pretty terribly about mine. I think the main thing is (especially for 3Ls) 1) how much need is there in your desired practice group? and 2) who is the competition?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think I might start a 'taking questions' thread on this topic because so many people seem to be interested. To answer your questions, not many firms were looking, and it is hard to predict a year in advance which ones will be looking when you are a 3L. The reason is because it depends on which firms don't have enough bodies from their SA classes, which changes from year to year. At my CCN, we had about 20 firms interviewing 3Ls (there were 30+ entries but over ten were different Latham offices, so I only count that as one firm), many of which were IP or super-selective firms like Susman and W&C. In addition to OCI, though, you should also check your career services website for resume drops or job postings seeking associates and also do targeted mass mailing. In the end I only interviewed with one firm, which was from a resume drop. I mass mailed only firms I wanted more than my summer firm and got a few rejections along with a few 'we will consider you down the line but we don't know our hiring needs yet.' Still, I think targeted mass mailing is worthwhile, and I expect that I may get some positive responses from those mass mailings after November 1. Obviously this is not too useful for me since I have already accepted an offer, but, as I mentioned, I still think mass mailing is the right call.

In terms of your second question, I guess the answer is partially yes in that people who could do IP were heavily-sought. The firm I received an offer from was looking for both corporate and litigation. I think as a 3L firms expect you to have a better sense about what you want to do, so I wouldn't suggest going into the interview and saying you were on the fence about corp v lit, but you don't need to be absolutely certain you want to do structured finance and have the experience to prove it. That might actually cut against you since it is so specific. I have not seen any postings asking for people for subgroups like that.

Lastly, try to beef up your resume as much as possible between now and 3L hiring. If your grades were mediocre, get those up as much as possible. (Well, even if they were not mediocre, get them up as much as possible.) Get your note published and/or win awards for moot court and/or get other accolades. Whatever your resume's weakness was the first time around, really try to remedy that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:23 pm

I also successfully traded up this year, from a V-40 to Skadden and I attend a T-20ish school. They did not interview on campus for 3Ls, so I scored off of a mass mailing. If you are interested in "trading-up" I think you need (1) a 2L summer associate job, (3) an offer from that job, (3) absolutely killer 1L and 2L grades and (4) many positive things to say about your 2L summer. The offer from 2L is important because they want to know that someone thinks you're worth hiring. Remember, they are hiring you as an associate so they don't get the normal summer associate trial period. Killer grades are important because they want to see you kept going after landing the 2L job. Finally, they know you want to "trade up" for the firm name. Bashing your 2L firm won't make you look good and will make you feel much worse about not finding anything if the trade-up does not work out.

All of that being said, the concept of "trading up" is fairly relative. The fact is you will make similar amounts of money at most big law firms unless you plan to shoot for partner. Finding the best fit is much more important than finding the most prestigious firm. The "exit options" are also just silly. No one should be looking for the door out before they have found the entrance. I personally think that if you really like the people at your 2L firm you should just take it. I am not leaving for the "prestige." I did not have the option to work in the city I wanted to be in after 2L, so I decided to try again. The fact that it was a more "prestigious" firm is secondary as they were also the only firm that gave me an interview this year. I feel like I won the lottery, but I would not have been disappointed in the least to work where I was last summer.

Return to “Legal Employment”