Withdrawing From Consideration

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Withdrawing From Consideration

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:05 pm

I still have some post-CB firms I haven't heard from but am 100% sure I would not accept their offers over offers I already have, thus I would like to withdraw myself from consideration for their SA programs and allow them to focus on those who still remain interested. What is the best way to go about doing this? I'm hoping email is sufficient, but am a little stuck on how to word it.

ph14

Re: Withdrawing From Consideration

Postby ph14 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I still have some post-CB firms I haven't heard from but am 100% sure I would not accept their offers over offers I already have, thus I would like to withdraw myself from consideration for their SA programs and allow them to focus on those who still remain interested. What is the best way to go about doing this? I'm hoping email is sufficient, but am a little stuck on how to word it.

Just thank them, make a positive comment about the firm, and say you'd like to remove yourself from consideration for summer employment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:23 pm

I think it's a good thing to do. I think firms would like to know you aren't going to accept an offer if one is extended to you and that way they won't be wasting their time/resources. Also, it's more fair to the other candidates out there as someone who may be a second choice to you now becomes a first choice.

Email is completely sufficient, be sure to say something nice about the firm but other than that it's easy.

I know of some people who didn't withdraw after receiving offers from firms they preferred, just wanting to see if they'd get an offer for the fun of it. I find that offensive.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:37 pm

ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I still have some post-CB firms I haven't heard from but am 100% sure I would not accept their offers over offers I already have, thus I would like to withdraw myself from consideration for their SA programs and allow them to focus on those who still remain interested. What is the best way to go about doing this? I'm hoping email is sufficient, but am a little stuck on how to word it.

Just thank them, make a positive comment about the firm, and say you'd like to remove yourself from consideration for summer employment.

This.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:58 pm

There's no wrong way as long as you're polite. Thank you for helping your peers and the firm out by doing this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:07 pm

I called. It wasn't significantly more awkward than cancelling a callback, and I think it's classier to call. It would have taken me more time to compose an email (I would have agonized over wording). Also, if you call, you can be certain that they got the message.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I called. It wasn't significantly more awkward than cancelling a callback, and I think it's classier to call. It would have taken me more time to compose an email (I would have agonized over wording). Also, if you call, you can be certain that they got the message.

The firms don't think it's classier to call. They don't care either way.

Return to “Legal Employment”