Davis Polk or Debevoise?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Davis Polk or Debevoise?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:15 am

I'm having a really hard time making this decision. I think I'm more interested in litigation, but I'm not positive and I know I want to try out corporate work next summer. I LOVED the people I met at Debevoise and I feel like I would really fit in well with their culture. But then again it's very hard to turn down Davis Polk. Any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Re: Davis Polk or Debevoise?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:29 am

We all have, including myself, fallen victim to the micro-distinctions made among the top NYC firms on TLS. While Debevoise is not one of the "iconic" law firms in NYC (e.g. WLRK, Cravath, Skadden, S&C, DPW, Simpson, and Cleary), it is in that second bunching of NYC law firms that are still super prestigious (e.g. Weil, Kirkland, Latham, GDC, Quinn, BSF, and PW - with Quinn, BSF, and PW obviously being litigation powerhouses). At the end of the day, your work at any of these firms is going to be high-quality and you are going to have great exit options because of the name on your resume. Go where you feel the most comfortable. Choose Debevoise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:59 pm

If you loved the people at Debevoise, choose Debevoise. I chose Debevoise because it seemed like the firm where I would be happier for a longer period of time (judging from interviews, friends and the AmLaw midlevel associate survey).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:02 pm

Chose Debevoise over a V5 and was quite happy. Friends at their V5s were also happy. Go with fit unless you have specific areas or concerns.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Great advise being posted in this thread. Nothing trumps click, you're going to spend an ass-load of time with these people. If your gut says deb, you aren't going to kick yourself down the road for not choosing the "more prestigious" firm.

Return to “Legal Employment”