DPW v. Cleary v. S & C v. Skadden (NYC)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

DPW v. Cleary v. S & C v. Skadden (NYC)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:05 am

I'm in the very lucky position of having a number of offers to choose from. I'm having a hard time making a final decision. I'm interested in corporate practice, but I'm not sure what specific group. I'd like a firm with international work/opportunities. And honestly, the most important thing is probably culture - if I'm going to be working all the time, I'd like it to be with people who are nice and fun.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Anonymous User

Re: DPW v. Cleary v. S & C v. Skadden (NYC)

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:36 am

DPW is not nearly as international as the others, and S&C is full of people who will make you miserable even if you're the happiest and most eager-to-please first-year they've ever seen. I'd try to learn a little more about practice strengths at the other two, but without knowing more about what you want to do, pick Cleary for the people or Skadden for the best international brand recognition (especially on the client side). The differences are marginal though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm in the very lucky position of having a number of offers to choose from. I'm having a hard time making a final decision. I'm interested in corporate practice, but I'm not sure what specific group. I'd like a firm with international work/opportunities. And honestly, the most important thing is probably culture - if I'm going to be working all the time, I'd like it to be with people who are nice and fun.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Where do you want to work internationally and why?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:21 pm

I've done a lot of work in Africa, so I'd love a firm that does at least some work in the region or other emerging economies. I don't necessarily need to work in a foreign office - although I'm open to the idea - but I would ideally like to work in a place that does international work & has interactions between their international and US offices. Why? Well...my background is in International Relations, I've worked abroad before, and I find the added complexity/challenge of international work (working with and learning about different cultures and legal systems) interesting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've done a lot of work in Africa, so I'd love a firm that does at least some work in the region or other emerging economies. I don't necessarily need to work in a foreign office - although I'm open to the idea - but I would ideally like to work in a place that does international work & has interactions between their international and US offices. Why? Well...my background is in International Relations, I've worked abroad before, and I find the added complexity/challenge of international work (working with and learning about different cultures and legal systems) interesting.

1) There isn't much of that type of work in big law

2) I'm pretty sure that all of the firms run their practices out of the most developed countries in the region or they just do the work domestically and travel as needed.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:05 pm

[/quote]
1) There isn't much of that type of work in big law

2) I'm pretty sure that all of the firms run their practices out of the most developed countries in the region or they just do the work domestically and travel as needed.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm aware that none of the firms I'm looking have offices in the region. And most do little, if any, work in Africa specifically. Although Cleary is #1 in Emerging Market M&A and has won an award for their African M & A. Most firms I've talked to do the work out of the London/NY/DC offices. But from talking to partners in different practice areas, I know at least a few (Skadden, S & C and Cleary) have a decent number of M&A and project finance work in Africa, Latin America, the Middle East, and Asia.

I'm really more curious about people's impressions of the culture at each of the firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:10 pm

if you're looking for a mixture of international work and culture, i think cleary is by far the correct choice here

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if you're looking for a mixture of international work and culture, i think cleary is by far the correct choice here

Agreed, this seems obvious. Cleary has by far the best international practice of those, especially if you want to do sovereign debt work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:26 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:if you're looking for a mixture of international work and culture, i think cleary is by far the correct choice here

Agreed, this seems obvious. Cleary has by far the best international practice of those, especially if you want to do sovereign debt work.

I came to my callback interested in that work, and the partners stressed to me that the sovereign debt work is, while high profile, not a significant part of their practice. One said that while their might be 1 or 0 defaulting sovereigns at any given time, there might be 30 cap markets/m&a deals going on.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

I came to my callback interested in that work, and the partners stressed to me that the sovereign debt work is, while high profile, not a significant part of their practice. One said that while their might be 1 or 0 defaulting sovereigns at any given time, there might be 30 cap markets/m&a deals going on.

Well obviously- I should have been more clear that if you want to do that work at all, Cleary is your best bet.

Return to “Legal Employment”