Resume Question

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Resume Question

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:10 am

I am the Executive Copy Editor for my journal, which is an E-Board position. Never having been involved with hiring in a law office or court, I am not sure how best to convey that I am on the Editorial Board. Of course, to me the title of the position is, inherently, an E-Board position and not a normal 3L position. What about to the people I am applying to? How do you list E-Board positions on your resume? Do you just state "Editorial Board, Journal of Law, Policy, Business, International Relations, Health, and Literature"? Or do you list the name of the position: Publications Editor, Executive Articles Editor, Managing Editor, etc.? Those of you who have participated in hiring or have special insight into the hiring process, what do you think? Finally, am I stressing too much over something that is mostly insignificant? Thank you!!!

Gorki

Re: Resume Question

Postby Gorki » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:I am the Executive Copy Editor for my journal, which is an E-Board position. Never having been involved with hiring in a law office or court, I am not sure how best to convey that I am on the Editorial Board. Of course, to me the title of the position is, inherently, an E-Board position and not a normal 3L position. What about to the people I am applying to? How do you list E-Board positions on your resume? Do you just state "Editorial Board, Journal of Law, Policy, Business, International Relations, Health, and Literature"? Or do you list the name of the position: Publications Editor, Executive Articles Editor, Managing Editor, etc.? Those of you who have participated in hiring or have special insight into the hiring process, what do you think? Finally, am I stressing too much over something that is mostly insignificant? Thank you!!!

Law School, City, State
Juris Doctor expected Month XXXX
GPA: X.XX Rank: X
Journal Name, Title of 3L Position, Vol. XX
Journal Name, Title of 2L Position, Vol. XX

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:32 am

Gorki wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am the Executive Copy Editor for my journal, which is an E-Board position. Never having been involved with hiring in a law office or court, I am not sure how best to convey that I am on the Editorial Board. Of course, to me the title of the position is, inherently, an E-Board position and not a normal 3L position. What about to the people I am applying to? How do you list E-Board positions on your resume? Do you just state "Editorial Board, Journal of Law, Policy, Business, International Relations, Health, and Literature"? Or do you list the name of the position: Publications Editor, Executive Articles Editor, Managing Editor, etc.? Those of you who have participated in hiring or have special insight into the hiring process, what do you think? Finally, am I stressing too much over something that is mostly insignificant? Thank you!!!

Law School, City, State
Juris Doctor expected Month XXXX
GPA: X.XX Rank: X
Journal Name, Title of 3L Position, Vol. XX
Journal Name, Title of 2L Position, Vol. XX

That is a great way to list them (and I just updated all my resumes to that style, thanks!), but do you think that will distinguish between a regular 3L position and an E-Board position. 2L I was an Associate Notes Editor. 3L I am the Executive Copy Editor. Would you suggest just leaving the title of the position and not stating that the 3L is E-Board?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:17 am

I think you are overvaluing an Editorial Board position.

RowJimmy

Postby RowJimmy » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:20 am

kalvano wrote:I think you are overvaluing an Editorial Board position.

Yeah. Not to knock your effort, as I'm sure a lot of work goes in to it, but no employer is going to say, "Executive Copy Editor? Wait...is that...on the board?????? HIRE THIS MAN!"

The position sounds good as it is. You can get asked about it in an interview and then talk about your responsibilities to sell it. Otherwise, don't over do it on the resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:31 am

Got it. I think I am asking because it seems to be overvalued for clerkship and government apps. I'm not actually applying to firms. Maybe I should have made that clear. I apologize for the ambiguity. Does your response change based on that, or do you think it is the same? Thank you again :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:Got it. I think I am asking because it seems to be overvalued for clerkship and government apps. I'm not actually applying to firms. Maybe I should have made that clear. I apologize for the ambiguity. Does your response change based on that, or do you think it is the same? Thank you again :)

If you are not EIC, I don't see how mentioning that you are on the editorial board would matter. List your positions; if a person thinks it is impressive, then that is great. If not, it is not going to be the difference between you getting the job or not. Go to a good school, get good grades, get your note published -> clerkship/gov't job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got it. I think I am asking because it seems to be overvalued for clerkship and government apps. I'm not actually applying to firms. Maybe I should have made that clear. I apologize for the ambiguity. Does your response change based on that, or do you think it is the same? Thank you again :)

If you are not EIC, I don't see how mentioning that you are on the editorial board would matter. List your positions; if a person thinks it is impressive, then that is great. If not, it is not going to be the difference between you getting the job or not. Go to a good school, get good grades, get your note published -> clerkship/gov't job.

Great! Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”