Midlaw Exit Options

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Midlaw Exit Options

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Hey all,

Here's the deal. Attended lower T14, slightly above median. Have a permanent offer from a midlaw firm (regional firm; 150ish lawyers spread out over several offices, pays $100k starting out - [is this even midlaw?]) in a fairly small market. Absolutely thrilled, love the firm, really enjoyed the summer, etc. Passed the bar, starting work in a couple of weeks.

Only issue is this: fiance is a 2nd year medical student, will be looking for residency in two years. I intend on staying at the firm long-term, but we may not have that choice. Say she ends up matching in a place like DC/Chi/LA... What exit options would I have coming from a firm like this after 2 years of practicing? BigLaw? Similar MidLaw? Would the best idea at that point be to apply to D.Ct. clerkships in the new market and hope I land something? (I would imagine that D.Ct. in those bigger markets with my grades and lack of a V25 firm on the resume will be too tough?)

Thanks

Anonymous User

Re: Midlaw Exit Options

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:54 pm

Also interested in this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:07 pm

I second this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all,

Here's the deal. Attended lower T14, slightly above median. Have a permanent offer from a midlaw firm (regional firm; 150ish lawyers spread out over several offices, pays $100k starting out - [is this even midlaw?]) in a fairly small market. Absolutely thrilled, love the firm, really enjoyed the summer, etc. Passed the bar, starting work in a couple of weeks.

Only issue is this: fiance is a 2nd year medical student, will be looking for residency in two years. I intend on staying at the firm long-term, but we may not have that choice. Say she ends up matching in a place like DC/Chi/LA... What exit options would I have coming from a firm like this after 2 years of practicing? BigLaw? Similar MidLaw? Would the best idea at that point be to apply to D.Ct. clerkships in the new market and hope I land something? (I would imagine that D.Ct. in those bigger markets with my grades and lack of a V25 firm on the resume will be too tough?)

Thanks

What follows is the limited and humble opinion of someone who worked at an AmLaw 100 firm for 4 years before lawl school. (Entailed frequent interaction with attorneys at various phases in their careers, who were moving around biggish firms like Pillsbury, Latham, Nixon, etc., though.)

Trying to move by the 2-year mark is extremely difficult absent a gold-clad resume and/or excellent connections. It's a buyer's market for entry-level attorneys, and the many of the geographic areas you mentioned are particularly flooded. Further, depending on the exact state and its reciprocity rule, the firm might have to wait up on you passing the bar. Again, in light of the avalanche of resumes from local players, what incentive do these firms have to cater to a fungible commodity? Granted, the spouse story is a compelling one--but expect an uphill battle. That said, I think midlaw is your most viable target.

Based on my observations, it seems like the sweet spot for associate portability is the 5-6 year mark. By that point, firms are actually able to make a healthy return on the associate, and ideally, he/she has begun to specialize in a meaningful way. This could ultimately be the key to your ability to exit--quickly carving out a name for yourself in something unique like tax, ERISA, telecom regulatory, etc. I do wish you the best--I'm facing a similar situation, but with a S.O. with 4 years left in a Ph.D. program. :|

los blancos

Postby los blancos » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:25 am

Anyone have any other opinions on this?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey all,

Thanks

Clerkship will be tough given your background.

Your best bet is to work with a reputable HH to land a similar gig at a small or midlaw.

Return to “Legal Employment”