Milbank vs. Linklaters

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Milbank vs. Linklaters

Milbank
43%
Linklaters
57%

Total votes: 21

Anonymous User

Milbank vs. Linklaters

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:19 pm

For corporate work. Def interested in international options. Quality of life would be nice too.

Anonymous User

Re: Milbank vs. Linklaters

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:37 pm

Interested in any rationale behind a vote that anyone would care to share, as well. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Bump.. any thoughts behind votes would be much appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bump.. any thoughts behind votes would be much appreciated.

OP said he had interest in working on corporate deals internationally. That alone seems to favor Linklaters. However, if OP gave more information on what he wants, maybe Milbank would be better.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP said he had interest in working on corporate deals internationally. That alone seems to favor Linklaters. However, if OP gave more information on what he wants, maybe Milbank would be better.

Agreed. What kind of deals: capital markets, M&A, project finance?

That might make a difference. But Linklaters is a pretty heavy hitter internationally and, imho, is the default choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:22 pm

OP, did you interest in international come before or after the linklaters offer? Don't let unfounded enthusiasm backed up by TLS support lead you into a poor decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For corporate work. Def interested in international options. Quality of life would be nice too.

OP - are you interested in international options or seriously committed? I mean, drop everything and move somewhere else where you don't speak the language for 2+ years even after you make partner committed? How passionate are you about international capital markets work? If you answer seriously to both questions, Linklaters. If you're merely interested, I think Milbank will be the safer investment. They do lots of interesting international corporate work, have tons of travel opportunities, and are headquartered in NYC. On the other hand, the NYC office is definitely not the epicenter of the Linklaters world but their offices abroad far eclipse Milbank.

Edited to add: I'm in a similar situation to you, OP. I'm trying to decide between Linklaters and another firm with a solid international transactional practice but a stronger domestic practice. Haven't made my mind up yet. Was initially tempted by all the options for working abroad at Linklaters, but I'm now heavily leaning towards the firm with the stronger domestic practice because it has higher prestige value here, and I will probably retain good exit options for magic circle firms due to my background.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:35 pm

I think Milbank is the clear choice for project finance so if you are interested in that it is clear. If international work and especially capital markets is something you really want though maybe Linklaters would be better. Personally, I really liked my Milbank interview and I would probably make my decision based on fit and office atmosphere.

Return to “Legal Employment”