Orrick San Francisco?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Orrick San Francisco?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:36 pm

Is there any TLS wisdom on this firm? I've heard that the SF office is well-engrained in Northern California, but it had tons of layoffs during the recession.
Is it in better shape now?
Does the Talent Model of compensation make any difference?
Is it forever doomed to be second-best in everything it does except for Public Finance? The only major litigation I have seen come out of this office lately was MGA/Mattel. They did represent Instagram in the Facebook acquisition. Is this top-tier corporate work fairly typical?

Anonymous User

Re: Orrick San Francisco?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:38 pm

Shameless bump in case someone new might have info.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:19 pm

I did a callback with them not long ago. I'm not too sure about the financial health about the firm, but associates tell me the Talent Model generally doesn't affect their lives very much - if you're a complete rock star, or completely falling behind your class, then it'll affect your compensation and partnership track. But otherwise everyone in their class is generally treated the same.

It seemed like an enjoyable place to work, and aside from MoFo, I don't think there are other SF firms that I'd clearly choose over them. Like you said, they're so engrained and well-respected in the area.

And FWIW, I think their Silicon Valley office worked on the Instagram deal.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Have you heard back yet from the callback? If so, how long dd it take?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:21 pm

Was told by that their hiring committee met either this past Thursday or Friday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:44 pm

Hmm, I was told that it'd probably take about a week. Maybe I came right after the hiring committee had already met. So no, I haven't heard yet.

Return to “Legal Employment”