Los Angeles--Now or Later?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Los Angeles--Now or Later?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:20 pm

I'm not very familiar with the LA market, so any feedback would be super helpful.

What are everyone's thoughts on doing lit at a non LA/CA-based firm, such as Kirkland, Sidley or Jones Day in LA? Would the quality of the work still be satisfying despite the presence of LA-based lit giants, like Quinn and MTO?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm not very familiar with the LA market, so any feedback would be super helpful.

What are everyone's thoughts on doing lit at a non LA/CA-based firm, such as Kirkland, Sidley or Jones Day in LA? Would the quality of the work still be satisfying despite the presence of LA-based lit giants, like Quinn and MTO?

What do you mean by "[w]ould the quality of the work still be satisfying"? Satisfying, how?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:25 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not very familiar with the LA market, so any feedback would be super helpful.

What do you mean by "[w]ould the quality of the work still be satisfying"? Satisfying, how?

Sorry, I meant whether the cases would be as complex/challenging, clients as big, etc. More generally, whether the lit work at these firms would be "looked down on" because it's what Quinn/MTO wouldn't take...

ph14

Postby ph14 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

Sorry, I meant whether the cases would be as complex/challenging, clients as big, etc. More generally, whether the lit work at these firms would be "looked down on" because it's what Quinn/MTO wouldn't take...

I think you're drawing far too fine of distinctions. First, MTO is rather small and can't take that much work. Second, all those firms do great work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:30 pm

On a related note, are there any tangible differences between OMM/Paul Hastings/Skadden litigation in LA career wise? Not trying to steal the thread but this thread seems like the LA thread. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:34 pm

ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What if one starts at the home office of a non-CA firm with California offices like Milbank/Morgan Lewis? How hard would it be to lateral into the LA market? Assuming one didn't get an LA offer the first time around.

Are you asking about lateraling to another firm or lateraling into the CA office?

Either or. I guess within the firm it would depends on the firm/practice area. But would working at a firm with decent CA recognition help with lateraling to a different firm in LA. It looks like I may end up with no CA SA offers, so I am wondering what my chances would be down the road if I start in the east.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:35 pm

ph14 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

I think you're drawing far too fine of distinctions. First, MTO is rather small and can't take that much work. Second, all those firms do great work.

Thanks, you're completely right. I need to chill.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

On a related note, are there any tangible differences between OMM/Paul Hastings/Skadden litigation in LA career wise? Not trying to steal the thread but this thread seems like the LA thread. Thanks in advance.

Yes, of course there are.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

No, that's stupid.

You should focus on who you are working with, not what firm you are working for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:58 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

No, that's stupid.

You should focus on who you are working with, not what firm you are working for.

Do you mean firm culture? I was asking more about career-building experiences, prestige, etc.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Do you mean firm culture? I was asking more about career-building experiences, prestige, etc.

No, I mean you should focus on the actual person that you are working for.

The partner you are working for makes more of a difference (maybe all the difference) in terms of career-building experiences. There are quite a few lawyers I can think of off the top of my head at Kirkland, Skadden, etc. that I would prefer working for as a young associate over those at MTO or Irell -- the reverse is true as well, of course.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:23 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No, I mean you should focus on the actual person that you are working for.

The partner you are working for makes more of a difference (maybe all the difference) in terms of career-building experiences. There are quite a few lawyers I can think of off the top of my head at Kirkland, Skadden, etc. that I would prefer working for as a young associate over those at MTO or Irell -- the reverse is true as well, of course.

Gotcha, thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:01 am

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Is OMM that far ahead of the others?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Who said that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:41 am

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

Who said that?

My mistake, I assumed you meant it was better than the others for some reason. I guess what would the differences between the 3 be in your opinion?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

Who said that?

My mistake, I assumed you meant it was better than the others for some reason. I guess what would the differences between the 3 be in your opinion?

Briefly, if we are just talking about practice area then OMM would be the choice if you wanted to do entertainment, media and 1st Amendment issues; Skadden the choice for securities, white collar, FCPA, and internal investigations.

Paul Hastings is sort of a mixed bag, it does quite a bit of everything but nothing very well. Before it grew to be he behemoth that it is now (when Janofsky and Walker was still part of he name) it was really strong in employment but as it grew in size so did its billing rates and longtime clients fled for more regional, midlaw type firms for their L/E work. Those partners did as well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 am

anon168 wrote:
Briefly, if we are just talking about practice area then OMM would be the choice if you wanted to do entertainment, media and 1st Amendment issues; Skadden the choice for securities, white collar, FCPA, and internal investigations.

Paul Hastings is sort of a mixed bag, it does quite a bit of everything but nothing very well. Before it grew to be he behemoth that it is now (when Janofsky and Walker was still part of he name) it was really strong in employment but as it grew in size so did its billing rates and longtime clients fled for more regional, midlaw type firms for their L/E work. Those partners did as well.

Alright, thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”