Necessary to send "background" info for writing sample? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
blong4133

Bronze

Necessary to send "background" info for writing sample?

Post by blong4133 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:26 am

Just curious if it is necessary to always provide background for a writing sample you are submitting to a firm along with a resume and cover letter. I wrote the brief last year, and while the issues themselves are pretty straightforward (Establishment Clause, Free Speech, Forum analysis) I'm not sure if the brief will be as useful if the reader doesn't know the facts. But If I give some background, i know that I'll end up just writing a different version of my statement of facts, which I cut out, along with the forum analysis, for the sake of keeping the writing sample under 20 pages.

But at the end of the day, I also realize that the person who will be reading it is mostly checking for my reasoning/analytical/research/writing skills etc. etc.

Is this a good practice, or is it just something you do if you've got an extremely complex legal brief you're sending?

lawschoolisfun2012

New

Re: Necessary to send "background" info for writing sample?

Post by lawschoolisfun2012 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:52 am

I usually include a cover sheet that explains the background. Think about it. If you picked up your brief, and had no idea, what would help the reader? Give them like two-three sentences to get their head in the right place....maybe your paper already does that. Also, 20 pages is WAY too long. I'd go 10, and highlight key sections.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:46 am

I didn't. I still got a job. It can't hurt though to include one and it might hurt not to.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:51 am

I've been told by a previous government employer that the most important thing to him is actually the fact section and not the legal issues. He said something along the lines of "any moron can do legal research, but you need to actually understand what you're doing to pick out the key facts that are relevant to the issues and condense those down into a readable narrative."

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:58 am

More than once when I've received an explanatory sheet about someone's writing sample, it had either (1) a typo or (2) was poorly written.

In other words, if you are going to send an explanatory sheet, just understand that that also becomes part of your writing sample.

Whether you send one or not, is really irrelevant because your writing sample should really be able to stand on its own.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”