Getting worried... graduated, took bar, still no job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Getting worried... graduated, took bar, still no job

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:34 am

I graduated in the spring. Bar results are coming out next month and I'm still unemployed. I feel like I am getting rejected more than an aspiring actress.

I was getting a lot more on-campus interviews, but now that I've graduated I'm getting none. Assuming I passed the bar, will I suddenly be getting more interviews after the results are out? I've got no clue where to go from here. Now that the summer is over and I'm wrapping up my research, I just feel helpless. I got an offer to do doc review, but they wanted a 6-month commitment and I'd like to think I'll be a lawyer within 6 months, although that is feeling less and less realistic. Living with the parents is feeling more and more like a long-term arrangement.

I am rarely even getting rejection letters anymore, it seems like interview offers have slowed dramatically since the spring. No legal job is below me. I'm applying to everything I can find. I'm not an awful interviewer but I feel like I might be coming off as a little bit ditzy at times. I've gotten dozens of interviews and 3 callbacks: a V40 firm and two middle market firms, but 0 full-time offers.

Does anyone have any other advice, similar experiences, words of wisdom, etc?

Details:

School: T30's public school
Class Rank: top 25%
Target Market: Atlanta & surrounding area
Journal: yes but not law review
Internships (3): Mid-sized firm in Europe (summer after 2L year), big federal agency (fall externship), local government (just finished)

anon168

Re: Getting worried... graduated, took bar, still no job

Postby anon168 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:I graduated in the spring. Bar results are coming out next month and I'm still unemployed. I feel like I am getting rejected more than an aspiring actress.

I was getting a lot more on-campus interviews, but now that I've graduated I'm getting none. Assuming I passed the bar, will I suddenly be getting more interviews after the results are out? I've got no clue where to go from here. Now that the summer is over and I'm wrapping up my research, I just feel helpless. I got an offer to do doc review, but they wanted a 6-month commitment and I'd like to think I'll be a lawyer within 6 months, although that is feeling less and less realistic. Living with the parents is feeling more and more like a long-term arrangement.

I am rarely even getting rejection letters anymore, it seems like interview offers have slowed dramatically since the spring. No legal job is below me. I'm applying to everything I can find. I'm not an awful interviewer but I feel like I might be coming off as a little bit ditzy at times. I've gotten dozens of interviews and 3 callbacks: a V40 firm and two middle market firms, but 0 full-time offers.

Does anyone have any other advice, similar experiences, words of wisdom, etc?

Details:

School: T30's public school
Class Rank: top 25%
Target Market: Atlanta & surrounding area
Journal: yes but not law review
Internships (3): Mid-sized firm in Europe (summer after 2L year), big federal agency (fall externship), local government (just finished)

Have you thought about hanging your own shingles? And, no, I'm not joking.

Return to “Legal Employment”