Second Visit post-offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cowgirl123

Second Visit post-offer

Postby cowgirl123 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Just wondering what questions are appropriate to ask for a second visit after an offer has been extended?

What should I expect during this visit as well?

Anonymous User

Re: Second Visit post-offer

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:38 pm

cowgirl123 wrote:Just wondering what questions are appropriate to ask for a second visit after an offer has been extended?

What should I expect during this visit as well?

I was wondering the same as well-- any insight would be appreciated. Also, what is a firm's policy in terms of reimbursement for these second visits?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:45 pm

bump.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:47 pm

I did a second visit to a V5 in NYC, and at the end of the visit a recruiter gave me another NALP form for travel reimbursement. I was already in the city so will just be using it for ground transportation, food, etc (as in I didn't ask for a flight) but I imagine they're open to that too.

As for questions - depending on who you ask to meet with I think it's fine to ask about flex time, why people leave and where they go when they leave, whether that individual sees him/herself staying long term... I also tried to press associates more on what their hours were actually like, if they or anyone they knew had to cancel vacations, what kinds of opportunities for substantive experience they felt were particularly lacking, and if they felt pressure to work with certain partners (regardless of whether a formal centralized assignment system, free-market, or some other configuration)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did a second visit to a V5 in NYC, and at the end of the visit a recruiter gave me another NALP form for travel reimbursement. I was already in the city so will just be using it for ground transportation, food, etc (as in I didn't ask for a flight) but I imagine they're open to that too.

As for questions - depending on who you ask to meet with I think it's fine to ask about flex time, why people leave and where they go when they leave, whether that individual sees him/herself staying long term... I also tried to press associates more on what their hours were actually like, if they or anyone they knew had to cancel vacations, what kinds of opportunities for substantive experience they felt were particularly lacking, and if they felt pressure to work with certain partners (regardless of whether a formal centralized assignment system, free-market, or some other configuration)

when you say you "tried to press associates more on what their hours were actually like"-- how did you go about doing this? did you straight up ask them? I am also interested in knowing how many attorneys left last year & for what reasons and also about the firm's perception of its financial stability. Is it ok to be blunt and ask these questions, or do you have any tips on how to get the answers to those questions in a roundabout way?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:20 pm

I'm going back for one soon with junior associates. I plan on trying to get at the following:

1) overall hours/flexibility/facetime requirements
2) assignment system (cause I already forgot it)
3) firm financials
4) partner/associate relations
5) any tips for succeeding at the firm
6) why they chose this firm
7) what I should be looking for in a firm
8) what projects they worked on that day

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did a second visit to a V5 in NYC, and at the end of the visit a recruiter gave me another NALP form for travel reimbursement. I was already in the city so will just be using it for ground transportation, food, etc (as in I didn't ask for a flight) but I imagine they're open to that too.

These are great questions to ask! Any others have any good questions that they consider important in their evaluation?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

when you say you "tried to press associates more on what their hours were actually like"-- how did you go about doing this? did you straight up ask them? I am also interested in knowing how many attorneys left last year & for what reasons and also about the firm's perception of its financial stability. Is it ok to be blunt and ask these questions, or do you have any tips on how to get the answers to those questions in a roundabout way?

Well, I found that in most callbacks the associates would skirt around the issue by saying it really varied. So I'd say ok, in the past 2 weeks what's been your longest/latest day, and your shortest? Then I'd ask about the other days in between. I also specifically asked about weekends - when you have to work weekends, do you log on for a few hours, or is it an all-day affair. I was pretty direct and I think those questions are fine; they shouldn't be worried that you'll think their firm is "worse" than others -- they're all going to be pretty intense.

I also asked 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and even more senior associates (a) how many attorneys from their class year are still around, when people left, etc. If they said they didn't know litigation #s because they were in corporate, or vice versa, I asked them to specify to their area (and rough #s if possible), and (b) where they went - did they leave law/go to boutiques/lateral to similar firms/government. I don't think asking that is too direct. In fact I had at least one conversation as a result of that about the person's own interests in staying long term vs. leaving for USAO or another government position. Realistically a lot of people leave, and asking these questions is not going to make them think you're a flight risk (because let's face it, you probably are anyway). These questions can also open discussions on how supportive/connected the firm is about getting associates into other types of careers.

As for financial stability, I didn't ask that but I'd imagine asking partners makes more sense? Maybe others have a better idea or have tried this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:37 pm

bump

Return to “Legal Employment”