Business References

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Business References

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:32 pm

Filling out an attorney profile for a firm (I'm a current 2L).
One section asks for prior work history, including supervisors and if they can be used as references. The section right before that asks for "business references". I'm guessing it shouldn't be the same people, but I'm not sure who else business references would be. I thought they were clients, or people you do business with. Can I leave this blank since I don't have any of those yet and assume that section is geared toward more experienced attorneys who fill out the same form? Am I overthinking this?

Re: Business References

Postby aces » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:03 pm

For firm application forms, I generally just attached a resume and list of three references (mix of academic and business) in lieu of filling out the grids on the official forms. This seemed to be well-received and even encouraged by firms, most of whom recognize that it's very possible you don't have multiple "business references" at this point in your career.

Return to “Legal Employment”