Does your SA position affect your ability to clerk? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Does your SA position affect your ability to clerk?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:52 pm

I'm deciding between a V10, a V25, and a V100 (although the V100 is Patterson Belknap).

I'm having a tough time making a decision because I really liked all of them and felt really comfortable at each, and they all seem to have pros and cons to working there.

One thing I'm wondering is if it makes a difference at all in terms of applying for clerkships If the judge sees a V10 on my resume, rather than a V100 (or V25, etc)?

Anonymous User

Re: Does your SA position affect your ability to clerk?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:57 pm

In this exact same boat, including PBWT, so I'd be interested to hear as well.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:06 pm

It won't make a difference.*

*The exception is if it's something you can't really predict - i.e. if you meet people in the firm who know the judge, if the judge has an idiosyncratic preference, if the firm's geography is more appropriate, etc. But that's basically impossible to plan for.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:19 pm

thesealocust wrote:It won't make a difference.*

*The exception is if it's something you can't really predict - i.e. if you meet people in the firm who know the judge, if the judge has an idiosyncratic preference, if the firm's geography is more appropriate, etc. But that's basically impossible to plan for.
I think having a partner or two to write letters for you or call the judges is a huge plus. But like you said one can't plan for these kind of things unless one's plans are pretty concrete.

anon168

Silver

Post by anon168 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm deciding between a V10, a V25, and a V100 (although the V100 is Patterson Belknap).

I'm having a tough time making a decision because I really liked all of them and felt really comfortable at each, and they all seem to have pros and cons to working there.

One thing I'm wondering is if it makes a difference at all in terms of applying for clerkships If the judge sees a V10 on my resume, rather than a V100 (or V25, etc)?
At best, marginally. At worst, not at all.

One instance where it might matter, and this is very rare, is if you summered at a firm like Altshuler Berzon, and then applied to, oh I don't know, Judge Berzon on the 9th (or others of her ilk like Reinhardt, Fletcher (Betty and Willy), etc.)

But other than that, it's almost irrelevant. Judges, unlike you folks, rarely if ever look at much less care about Vault rankings or prestige of firms. They, like people should, care about lawyers, not law firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”