Apply to one office after being dinged at another?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Apply to one office after being dinged at another?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:40 pm

For instance, if rejected from GDC LA, then apply to GDC NYC? Is there any potential downside to doing this when the offices have different recruiting managers and hiring partners (other than I'll obviously get auto-dinged if they keep any records at all)?

jack492505

Re: Apply to one office after being dinged at another?

Postby jack492505 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:50 pm

They'll say no more vociferously? I don't see how there could be a downside.

I also don't think your conclusion about being auto-dinged is necessarily correct. Maybe and auto-ding if you left an affirmatively negative impression (either through your credentials or interviewing), but I don't think it necessarily is. You could have been dinged at one office for a whole host of reasons (bad fit, not up to GPA standard, etc.) that may not be a concern with the other office (different office culture, lower hiring reqs., etc.). Not saying that is the case here but given the lack of downside, why not apply?

Snape

Postby Snape » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:53 pm

Why waste the time thinking about it and reading this...just do it and see what happens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:11 pm

I've been dinged at one office and gotten a CB at another for several firms. You have nothing to lose by applying.

(Assuming cover letters were sent) know that they will have your cover letter from the other office, which might profess your undying love for another city.

Return to “Legal Employment”