Keker & Van Nest vs. Munger, Tolles & Olson

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which would you pick?

Munger
34%
Keker
51%
Just want to see poll results
14%

Total votes: 35

Anonymous User

Keker & Van Nest vs. Munger, Tolles & Olson

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:32 pm

Indifferent between San Francisco and Los Angeles. What does everyone think about the two firms, and which would you pick?

fatduck

Re: Keker & Van Nest vs. Munger, Tolles & Olson

Postby fatduck » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:37 pm

what characteristics are you looking for in a firm?

nm i guess that's obvious

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:40 pm

I'd take KVN if you want to be a capital-T-Trial lawyer or are interested in doing white collar defense, and MTO if you want to do anything else.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd take KVN if you want to be a capital-T-Trial lawyer or are interested in doing white collar defense, and MTO if you want to do anything else.

I thought MTO had a strong white collar defense practice? Isn't that one of their stronger practice areas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:50 pm

MTO has a stronger national reputation, in the sense that far more people have heard of them.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Indifferent between San Francisco and Los Angeles. What does everyone think about the two firms, and which would you pick?

This can't be a serious hypo because you cannot be seriously "indifferent" between SF and LA. If you are, then you're naive.

There is a big difference between LA and SF -- not only in QoL, CoL, but type of work. For example, 160k goes a lot farther in LA than in does in SF, even though both cities are not inexpensive to live in, but in many respects SF can be more expensive to live in than NYC. Do you enjoy public transit? Or do you prefer driving a car? Do you like rain and fog? Or do you like the sun?

If your choices are KVN and MTO, then the decision must come down to city.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:57 pm

A few points:

(1) Munger does some corporate and bankruptcy work; Keker does none (AFAIK).

(2) Munger has an office in SF. As I'm sure you know, you have to summer in the LA office, but Munger leaves both options open.

(3) Munger's LA office has ~150 attorneys, while Keker's office has ~50 attorneys. Smaller offices are often more collegial, but they may prevent you from avoiding people you dislike.

(4) Both firms are open to splitting. I know people who've done the Munger/Keker split. I strongly recommend that you look into this.

(5) Congrats on the options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A few points:

(1) Munger does some corporate and bankruptcy work; Keker does none (AFAIK).

(2) Munger has an office in SF. As I'm sure you know, you have to summer in the LA office, but Munger leaves both options open.

(3) Munger's LA office has ~150 attorneys, while Keker's office has ~50 attorneys. Smaller offices are often more collegial, but they may prevent you from avoiding people you dislike.

(4) Both firms are open to splitting. I know people who've done the Munger/Keker split. I strongly recommend that you look into this.

(5) Congrats on the options.

OP here. Thank you very much. Unfortunately, I can't split due to a 1L summer offer I already accepted to return to. So I have to make the tough decision.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:08 am

If you want SF go Keker.

If you want LA do MTO.

(I honestly would do Keker but that is just because I like the people I have met there and they do some really high end litigation work.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:18 am

It's about cities, not firms. Choose based on city. I summered at one of these places but looked at both. They're very good in different ways.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:It's about cities, not firms. Choose based on city. I summered at one of these places but looked at both. They're very good in different ways.

Could you elaborate?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:13 am

What about splitting with one of these firms and a more public interest-oriented position? Danger of no-offer for lack of commitment?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:What about splitting with one of these firms and a more public interest-oriented position? Danger of no-offer for lack of commitment?

I know of someone who did that at one of these firms and received an offer.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:What about splitting with one of these firms and a more public interest-oriented position? Danger of no-offer for lack of commitment?

How does this help the OP decide between these two firms, which is the whole point of the poll/question.

Your post would just double the OP's possible choices.

Return to “Legal Employment”