When to follow up?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

When to follow up?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:29 pm

CB with my top choice two weeks ago. Haven't heard back. To my knowledge, no one else who interviewed with them has heard back yet either. Time to send email to/call recruiter?

Anonymous User

Re: When to follow up?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Unless you have an expiring offer, I would wait.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:02 pm

Was wondering the same thing. Is this frowned upon?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:36 pm

CB 3 weeks ago. Have an offer expiring in 2 weeks. Email now or wait another week? I know I should probably wait another week, but this is killing me, especially considering the CB firm is my top choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:45 pm

CB three weeks ago. Others have gotten offers from them but I don't know anyone that has gotten an official rejection yet (but I also don't know many people who CBed there).

Offer expiring in 8 days. When should I contact CB firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CB three weeks ago. Others have gotten offers from them but I don't know anyone that has gotten an official rejection yet (but I also don't know many people who CBed there).

Offer expiring in 8 days. When should I contact CB firm?

Immediately. I think this is close enough to the deadline.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:37 pm

Had a CB a little over a month ago...followed-up around the two week mark and haven't heard back. No offers outstanding. What should I do??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Had a CB a little over a month ago...followed-up around the two week mark and haven't heard back. No offers outstanding. What should I do??

^Bumping this thread because I'm in this exact situation and I'm not sure what to do. Any advice?^

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:09 pm

There is probably no right answer. I followed up after 2 weeks and then once a week after that. In one situation I got an offer and in one I got a rejection. I don't think following up had much to do with it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is probably no right answer. I followed up after 2 weeks and then once a week after that. In one situation I got an offer and in one I got a rejection. I don't think following up had much to do with it.

I appreciate the response. Hmm I sent a reaffirmation of interest email after 2nd week. Problem is, I want to send another email letting them know I'm still interested, but I don't know what to say (I have nothing to update them with) and I don't want to sound desperate. Also, I don't want to call and sound like I'm nagging. Any ideas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:25 pm

fuck it. i'm just not gonna follow up. i hate this whole process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:There is probably no right answer. I followed up after 2 weeks and then once a week after that. In one situation I got an offer and in one I got a rejection. I don't think following up had much to do with it.

What did you say in the once a week follow ups? Were these by email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

No. By phone. The firm that gave me an offer said to give it a few more days they will get back to me hopefully with good news. The firm that rejected me said they are sorry but the committee met and decided not to make me an offer and I should be receiving a letter in the mail.

I don't know if by phone is better or not I just didn't want to wait around nervously for a response to my email.

Edit: When I called I just asked if I can get an update on my candidacy.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

No. By phone. The firm that gave me an offer said to give it a few more days they will get back to me hopefully with good news. The firm that rejected me said they are sorry but the committee met and decided not to make me an offer and I should be receiving a letter in the mail.

I don't know if by phone is better or not I just didn't want to wait around nervously for a response to my email.

Edit: When I called I just asked if I can get an update on my candidacy.

I'm really hesitant to call just b/c the firm doesn't have a traditional recruiting coordinator. Their recruiting is done primarily by a few mid-level associates. Just seems annoying to call, plus I didn't get a response to my follow up email. This is so frustrating. It's been a little over a month...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm really hesitant to call just b/c the firm doesn't have a traditional recruiting coordinator. Their recruiting is done primarily by a few mid-level associates. Just seems annoying to call, plus I didn't get a response to my follow up email. This is so frustrating. It's been a little over a month...

It's a very frustrating process. I would call if I were you but I understand why you feel it would be annoying. Like I said earlier, there is no right answer and your follow-up will likely not have much of an effect on the end result.

Agent

Postby Agent » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:51 am

Too many anonymous responses here. I would definitely follow up to express my continued interest at the 3-week mark. If I'd neglected to send a thank you email right after interviews, I'd probably follow up now.

Return to “Legal Employment”