Help me Choose a CA Firm (Poll)

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Help me Choose a CA Firm (Poll)

Irell (LA)
6
23%
Quinn (SF)
7
27%
STB (Palo Alto)
3
12%
O'Melveny (SF)
4
15%
Farella Braun (SF)
6
23%
 
Total votes: 26

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Help me Choose a CA Firm (Poll)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:37 am

I'm actually posting this for a friend, and she has offers at all these locations.

Criteria: (in order of preference)
1. Prestige
2. Interesting Legal Work
3. Lean towards Litigation, but not totally ruling out Corporate

Thanks, and please feel free to post your reasoning.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Help me Choose a CA Firm (Poll)

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:39 am

How strongly leaning litigation? If she's 90/10 then she's probably safe picking a place that's only or primarily lit. If she's 60/40 then I'd lean towards going somewhere that's decent in both.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Help me Choose a CA Firm (Poll)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:42 am

bk1 wrote:How strongly leaning litigation? If she's 90/10 then she's probably safe picking a place that's only or primarily lit. If she's 60/40 then I'd lean towards going somewhere that's decent in both.


Hmm, I'm actually not sure about that. If it were 60-40, would STB or O'Melveny be a better option? Or is it too close to call?

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Help me Choose a CA Firm (Poll)

Postby bdubs » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:43 am

Do they want to do IP litigation? That is basically all that Quinn's SF office does. Irell seems like an outlier because all of the others are in SF/SV. Irell is also really heavy on patent lit, so I would probably toss it out.

Don't know much about STB PA, OMM SF, or Farella.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18414
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Help me Choose a CA Firm (Poll)

Postby bk1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hmm, I'm actually not sure about that. If it were 60-40, would STB or O'Melveny be a better option? Or is it too close to call?


I mean I would personally take one of those over the others to leave that option open if it were something I thought there was a decent chance I might like to do.

User avatar
OneMoreLawHopeful
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: Help me Choose a CA Firm (Poll)

Postby OneMoreLawHopeful » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
bk1 wrote:How strongly leaning litigation? If she's 90/10 then she's probably safe picking a place that's only or primarily lit. If she's 60/40 then I'd lean towards going somewhere that's decent in both.


Hmm, I'm actually not sure about that. If it were 60-40, would STB or O'Melveny be a better option? Or is it too close to call?


The real issue is that she could probably get a chance to do a non-lit summer assignment at any firm except for Quinn in order to help her make up her mind. So, if she's more like 60-40, and truly undecided, then she should probably go somewhere that will at least give her the option of trying a transactional assignment.

anon168
Posts: 920
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Help me Choose a CA Firm (Poll)

Postby anon168 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm actually posting this for a friend, and she has offers at all these locations.

Criteria: (in order of preference)
1. Prestige
2. Interesting Legal Work
3. Lean towards Litigation, but not totally ruling out Corporate

Thanks, and please feel free to post your reasoning.


If you want to stay up north, then it's a choice between OMM or QE and it just comes down to lifestyle and culture.

If you want to be down south, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Help me Choose a CA Firm (Poll)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:32 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm actually posting this for a friend, and she has offers at all these locations.

Criteria: (in order of preference)
1. Prestige
2. Interesting Legal Work
3. Lean towards Litigation, but not totally ruling out Corporate

Thanks, and please feel free to post your reasoning.


If you want to stay up north, then it's a choice between OMM or QE and it just comes down to lifestyle and culture.

If you want to be down south, it's pretty much a no-brainer.

Bolded makes sense, but only given OP's criteria. If you are looking at prestige, then its easily Irell or Quinn, with the edge to Irell on the West Coast, IMO. Quinn may get more love nationally, but who cares? You'll be practicing in California. But Irell is much more IP focused, so that could be a positive or negative. Neither choice is wrong, so long as you don't mind saying goodbye to corporate.

Avoid OMM, the firm has had very prominent partners leave recently and I understand the firm works its associates very hard as well (although TBF, this is with respect to the Century City office). Only reason to choose OMM is if you truly don't want to choose corporate v. litigation now.

STB should also be out. Vault doesn't matter in California; this firm is not more prestigious than Quinn or Irell.

I chose Farella. I faced a very similar decision which included Irell & Quinn and ended up choosing a San Francisco firm very similar to Farella. But my criteria were different:

1. Interesting Litigation Work
2. Get Paid Market
3. Ability to Have Life Outside of Work
...
999. Prestige

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Help me Choose a CA Firm (Poll)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:52 pm

I'd pick Farella in a heartbeat, but Irell is by far the most "prestigious" of the OP's options (and really any other firm in CA except MTO/KVN). That said, I think Irell is also a really unpleasant place (so are all these offices except Farella, TBH) and wouldn't advise anyone to work there.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Help me Choose a CA Firm (Poll)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:16 pm

Thanks everyone - forwarded the thread to her. This has been very helpful.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273214
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Help me Choose a CA Firm (Poll)

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:24 pm

STB in Palo Alto is very well regarded in terms of Private Equity corporate work here in the Bay Area. But if litigation is what your friend is leaning toward, that doesn't mean too much.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.