Should I quit?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Should I quit?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:52 am

I have been clerking at a law firm for the past 9 months. I have been in and out of the office for the past five weeks goint to screening interviews, job fairs, and call backs. Hardly, any of them have been in the state. So, I have been in the office maybe 1-2 days out of the week for the past month. And, while I have not said anything to the attorneys, I'm sure they know that something is up. Basically, about a month ago, the hiring partner called the two clerks into his office and said we were doing a good job but he could not make offers to us until January because it was a small firm (25 attorneys) and they cannot predict their needs a year in advance. I was not entirely surprised by this because they have said this to the past two years of clerks.

Last week, I received two first-year associate offers, both in different markets. One firm is a 200+ sized firm and the other is 600+ firm. I am definitely going to accept one of these two offers. I am just waiting to hear back from some of the other firms that I had call backs with.

Now, when I come into the office, I feel super awkward. People comment, "Hey stranger," or attorneys just go by and give me a half smile. I am not sure if I am reading into too much.

The hiring partner had said if we receive offers and want to discuss with him we could, i.e. force the firm to decide on us. Well, I don't want to work at the firm so I'm not sure if I should bring it up. Should I suck up the awkward moments and work there for at least the semeste because the pay is really good. Should I just keep working and not tell them I accepted an offer with another firm for after I graduate? Is that even allowed? Should I mention I have an offer that I am going to accept, but I was wondering if I could stick around an gain experience until I have to leave?

I am definitely frustrated with the firm because they did not make me an offer in the first place. A part of me wants to just blow them off and quit and then screw them over. But, then the other part of me wants me to leave on decent terms because I could use them as a reference and who knows if I will need to come back to them looking for employment in the future.

I feel very overwhelmed too. I have a lot of work on plate with the journal (currently an editor). The 3L part of me is thinking, "Fuck it. You are a 3L. You have enough saved from the summer/loans to get by without having to work and you can instead coast through your last year."

Help me. Thanks.

badaboom61

Re: Should I quit?

Postby badaboom61 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:But, then the other part of me wants me to leave on decent terms because I could use them as a reference and who knows if I will need to come back to them looking for employment in the future.

You should do this. /thread

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:05 am

badaboom61 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:But, then the other part of me wants me to leave on decent terms because I could use them as a reference and who knows if I will need to come back to them looking for employment in the future.

So, ending on a good term means what exactly...haha Explain to the hiring partner that I am going to accept another offer, but that I would like to continue to work there until I am done. I think this would be awkward though, right? I'm sure none of the partners will want to work with me if they know I am moving on to greener fields.

Is it best to just give two weeks notice, thank them for their time, and then be done?

legalese_retard

Postby legalese_retard » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
badaboom61 wrote:

So, ending on a good term means what exactly...haha Explain to the hiring partner that I am going to accept another offer, but that I would like to continue to work there until I am done. I think this would be awkward though, right? I'm sure none of the partners will want to work with me if they know I am moving on to greener fields.

Is it best to just give two weeks notice, thank them for their time, and then be done?

I would first ask the firm you are going to accept the offer with, whether it would be okay for you to continue clerking at the other firm. Even though the firm is in a different market, there could be a potential conflict. Assuming the other firm green lights your current job, I would then talk to the hiring partner and tell him what's up. If you want to stick with them for the pay and experience, tell them. If not, thank them for the opportunity and finish your 3L year.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:32 am

legalese_retard wrote:If you want to stick with them for the pay and experience, tell them. If not, thank them for the opportunity and finish your 3L year.

never tell them you are sticking around for the pay. Tell them you'd like to get the experience and feel that you can contribute, yada yada

PlessFightsFire

Postby PlessFightsFire » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:32 am

Can you pm me I have some questions for you, thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:33 am

Very good point. Totally did not even think to contact the other firm first.

wcarlwilson

Postby wcarlwilson » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:41 am

From someone with a prior career.

First, these guys know what is up. Their lawyers, they've been to law school, they've been in your shoes. They are just looking to be treated with respect as an employer as you are looking to be respected as an employee.

Second, never ditch a job for another job, until you have signed your offer/contract for that job. I've seen it happen too many times were people get a phone call, walk in to their boss quit and then find the offer rescinded (for various reasons from company filed for bankruptcy to couldn't pass the piss test).

Third, be some what open. That means be honest about your situation but don't bare your soul. Ask yourself (and it looks like you have)

1. Do I need to stay working until the new job starts? If so up till when? And given any other job what would be an appropriate notice for that date? This gives you the absolute last day you NEED to work there.

2. Do I want to stay working until the new job starts? Same follow up questions as above. This give you the absolute last day you would WANT to work there.

So now you have 3 dates. The date that you sign the acceptance of the new offer, the date you NEED to work and the date you WANT to work. I would start talking with the firm three weeks prior to the date you need to work, but not before the date you get in writing the new offer. The time between NEED and WANT is your negotiating point, and in which you are prepared to walk away from.

You then walk in tell them you have an offer and that it starts on this "date." Give them a chance to counter, even if you don't want to work there--who knows they may blow you away, doubtful, but crazier things have happened (But know what that number is--something like $300K and Partner out of the gates!).

They will then ask you when you are leaving. That's were negotiation comes in. Tell them you would like to stay till "WANT date," but are prepared to give your notice effective "NEED date." It does not need to be adversarial. Let them make the decision for you from their.

The employer is going to ask themselves:
1-Do I need this guy? And till when?
2-Do I want this guy? And till when?
3-Do I want to try and retain this guy?

If you notice those questions are the same as your questions. Were those answers line up with your answers is the date your last day will be.

The thing that you don't want to lead them on and put them in a bind. If you lead them on they may think you are staying and be counting on your presence during an important time. Also if they are needing to turn a clerk in to an associate and you don't want it don't squander the chance for some other law student to get a job. It's tough out there, once someone gets theirs they should try to help out their fellow classmates.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:46 am

wcarlwilson wrote:From someone with a prior career.

First, these guys know what is up. Their lawyers, they've been to law school, they've been in your shoes. They are just looking to be treated with respect as an employer as you are looking to be respected as an employee.

Second, never ditch a job for another job, until you have signed your offer/contract for that job. I've seen it happen too many times were people get a phone call, walk in to their boss quit and then find the offer rescinded (for various reasons from company filed for bankruptcy to couldn't pass the piss test).

Third, be some what open. That means be honest about your situation but don't bare your soul. Ask yourself (and it looks like you have)

1. Do I need to stay working until the new job starts? If so up till when? And given any other job what would be an appropriate notice for that date? This gives you the absolute last day you NEED to work there.

2. Do I want to stay working until the new job starts? Same follow up questions as above. This give you the absolute last day you would WANT to work there.

So now you have 3 dates. The date that you sign the acceptance of the new offer, the date you NEED to work and the date you WANT to work. I would start talking with the firm three weeks prior to the date you need to work, but not before the date you get in writing the new offer. The time between NEED and WANT is your negotiating point, and in which you are prepared to walk away from.

You then walk in tell them you have an offer and that it starts on this "date." Give them a chance to counter, even if you don't want to work there--who knows they may blow you away, doubtful, but crazier things have happened (But know what that number is--something like $300K and Partner out of the gates!).

They will then ask you when you are leaving. That's were negotiation comes in. Tell them you would like to stay till "WANT date," but are prepared to give your notice effective "NEED date." It does not need to be adversarial. Let them make the decision for you from their.

The employer is going to ask themselves:
1-Do I need this guy? And till when?
2-Do I want this guy? And till when?
3-Do I want to try and retain this guy?

If you notice those questions are the same as your questions. Were those answers line up with your answers is the date your last day will be.

The thing that you don't want to lead them on and put them in a bind. If you lead them on they may think you are staying and be counting on your presence during an important time. Also if they are needing to turn a clerk in to an associate and you don't want it don't squander the chance for some other law student to get a job. It's tough out there, once someone gets theirs they should try to help out their fellow classmates.

Good luck.

wow. This was super helpful!! Thank you so much. As someone who has not had a prior career and is going straight through, I really appreciated you walking me through the steps. I feel MUCH better.

Return to “Legal Employment”