Best clerkship for AUSA prospects

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best clerkship for AUSA prospects

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:29 am

If deciding between a d. ct. clerkship in a highly sought after district [SDNY/DDC] and one where you eventually hope to pursue an AUSA position, does it make more sense to choose your eventual target market? Or are the two named districts sufficiently respected nation-wide that they would help entrance into US attorney's office in any state?

thesealocust

Re: Best clerkship for AUSA prospects

Postby thesealocust » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:32 am

I don't think you ever really get to decide between clerkships; my understanding was that protocol entailed applying to a bazillion of them, scheduling interviews as best you can, and with few exceptions if you get an offer it will be on the spot and you'll accept on the spot?

I mean it's competitive enough that I think the only reasonable answer is "apply for both, you probably - simply as a matter of statistics, no matter what your credentials - won't get interviews for either."

In the event you actually had two interview offers and needed to decide which to schedule first, I'd probably aim for the market you want to be in first, since hiring is so much about who you know and not just general prestige.

Disclaimer: I never went through the clerkship process and my research was long ago, so I might be mistaken about this.

anon168

Re: Best clerkship for AUSA prospects

Postby anon168 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:If deciding between a d. ct. clerkship in a highly sought after district [SDNY/DDC] and one where you eventually hope to pursue an AUSA position, does it make more sense to choose your eventual target market? Or are the two named districts sufficiently respected nation-wide that they would help entrance into US attorney's office in any state?

Depends where you want to be an AUSA at.

Some USAOs really value clerkships, others not so much. For that latter group it's more important to have local ties and to get to know some of the AUSAs in managerial positions (like the FAUSA, section chiefs, etc.) and there's no better way to do that than to work in a courthouse where AUSAs ply their trade and where a local judge can speak on your behalf when the time comes to apply.

Return to “Legal Employment”