Pittsburgh Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pittsburgh

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Any news from the Pittsburgh firms yet? Specifically K&L, Reed Smith, Jones Day, and Thorp Reed

Anonymous User

Re: Pittsburgh

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any news from the Pittsburgh firms yet? Specifically K&L, Reed Smith, Jones Day, and Thorp Reed
I'm in the mix with one of those. Visited this past week. Will let you know when I hear.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any news from the Pittsburgh firms yet? Specifically K&L, Reed Smith, Jones Day, and Thorp Reed
I'm in the mix with one of those. Visited this past week. Will let you know when I hear.

Cohen CB 9/14

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:35 pm

Have an offer from one of the above. I really don't know what to do--love the firm, but not sure I want to be in Pittsburgh...any thoughts? If it matters, it's a firm with a TON of branch offices (probably giving it away).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Have an offer from one of the above. I really don't know what to do--love the firm, but not sure I want to be in Pittsburgh...any thoughts? If it matters, it's a firm with a TON of branch offices (probably giving it away).

What are your other offers? Litigation or transactional?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

also considering a lower-ranked vault firm in the market I want to be in (NYC). No preference as to litigation or transactional, don't plan to be at a law firm long-term.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:35 pm

What do the Pittsburgh offices of the major firms pay to first years these days?

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do the Pittsburgh offices of the major firms pay to first years these days?
Don't be lazy, dude. http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

also considering a lower-ranked vault firm in the market I want to be in (NYC). No preference as to litigation or transactional, don't plan to be at a law firm long-term.
Last edited by Younger Abstention on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Last edited by Younger Abstention on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:57 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Your exit options probably look better coming from a major market, even if the firm is lower "ranked." Pittsburgh's not for everyone. You've lived here at some point I assume? There are of course many benefits to working in Pittsburgh compared to NYC, though.
[/quote]

I've never lived in Pittsburgh and know no one there...

and yeah the whole more money/lower hours compared to NYC thing is really tough to turn down. I honestly go back and forth on this every single day.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:20 pm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:23 pm

How are the U of Pitt people fairing in the market?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Younger Abstention wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Your exit options probably look better coming from a major market, even if the firm is lower "ranked." Pittsburgh's not for everyone. You've lived here at some point I assume? There are of course many benefits to working in Pittsburgh compared to NYC, though.
I've never lived in Pittsburgh and know no one there...

and yeah the whole more money/lower hours compared to NYC thing is really tough to turn down. I honestly go back and forth on this every single day.[/quote]

I'm only a 1L but I am from Pittsburgh and I can tell that almost every single attorney I have talked to in my city is really happy with their work life balance. I am talking about both big firms and small. They also aren't doing bad financially they just might never be rolls royce rich... However, I would consider them upper middle class. This is about a sample of 10 lawyers from associates to partners mostly at bigger firms. If QOL is your main concern you are going to love the Burgh.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:28 pm

and yeah the whole more money/lower hours compared to NYC thing is really tough to turn down. I honestly go back and forth on this every single day.[/quote]

That's kind of scary you've never lived there before. Pittsburgh is a fairly insular place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:30 pm

What's "scary" about it?

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:and yeah the whole more money/lower hours compared to NYC thing is really tough to turn down. I honestly go back and forth on this every single day.
That's kind of scary you've never lived there before. Pittsburgh is a fairly insular place.[/quote]
It's not that insular, and as a matter of fact is becoming more transient at a very fast rate.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:39 pm

I can confirm that K&L and Reed Smith have extended offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's "scary" about it?
Because most people who live in Pittsburgh have lived there for generations and know lots of other Pittsburghers, have family and friends in the area, etc. Without ties to the region, I'm honestly surprised you got an offer. Even at national firms K&L and Reed, I was grilled pretty heavily regarding my ties during the callbacks.

That being said, it's an incredible city. It's one of the best places to live in the country. But not everyone agrees with that statement; it's generally not a place someone moves to without a reason for being there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:47 am

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Because most people who live in Pittsburgh have lived there for generations and know lots of other Pittsburghers, have family and friends in the area, etc. Without ties to the region, I'm honestly surprised you got an offer. Even at national firms K&L and Reed, I was grilled pretty heavily regarding my ties during the callbacks.

That being said, it's an incredible city. It's one of the best places to live in the country. But not everyone agrees with that statement; it's generally not a place someone moves to without a reason for being there.
I agree with you that ties are generslly paramount in the Pittsburgh legal market, a transplant would have no issues adjusting in the more affluent/hip parts of the East End (where pretty much every young, single, high-earning, white collar professional lives anyway).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:02 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I agree with you that ties are generslly paramount in the Pittsburgh legal market, a transplant would have no issues adjusting in the more affluent/hip parts of the East End (where pretty much every young, single, high-earning, white collar professional lives anyway).
Which neighborhoods are these, specifically?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:20 pm

Are any Pitt or Duquesne students doing well at all in OCI?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are any Pitt or Duquesne students doing well at all in OCI?
At Pitt, the top students fare pretty well - but there are no sure bets. When I did it, there were people on law review with great grades that didn't land OCI jobs - but there were also a handful that were not on law review and landed biglaw gigs.

I love pittsburgh - but if you're looking for a booming metropolis, you might not love it. Pittsburgh has everything you would want in a city - there are a lot of cultural things to do, great places to eat, big league sports teams, great music scene.... There are great farmers markets and cool city parks - a lot of running and biking trails...

But Pittsburgh isn't far from Appalachia and there is definitely an influence. We have "yinzers", whom I will not even try to describe, other than the idea that they are people that seem like rural hillbillies - but in fact have lived in the pittsburgh area their entire lives, as have their families for generations... There are positives to this - it's very un-pretentious. Big egos are generally socially unacceptable...

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which neighborhoods are these, specifically?
Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Friendship, East Liberty, Point Breeze, Highland Park, Lawrenceville, South Side Flats, Downtown

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”