White & Case vs Proskauer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which firm?

White & Case
37%
Proskauer
63%

Total votes: 30

Anonymous User

White & Case vs Proskauer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:20 pm

New York offers, and I am interested in corporate work. Any thoughts?

Edit: My name is John.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: White & Case vs Proskauer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:49 pm

white and case is way better for corp

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:white and case is way better for corp

agreed...proskauer is known more for lit

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:57 pm

John here: That was also my impression; i.e., that White & Case is quite good at corporate work (particularly cross border work) while Proskauer is more sports/labor & employment oriented. But I was curious if other people faced a similar choice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:New York offers, and I am interested in corporate work. Any thoughts?

Edit: My name is John.

Ditto to what the others have said about White & Case. Btw when did u receive your offer from them? Interviewed last week, no word back yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:07 pm

John here: received offer yesterday, and the callback was 9 days before that.

PS: there are quite a few Proskauer votes; any comments?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:John here: received offer yesterday, and the callback was 9 days before that.

My guess is that a number of those are anti-W&C votes. W&C had megalayoffs back in 2009 and there were rumors (on here) that they had fired first year associates recently. Shaky financial situation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:John here: received offer yesterday, and the callback was 9 days before that.

My guess is that a number of those are anti-W&C votes. W&C had megalayoffs back in 2009 and there were rumors (on here) that they had fired first year associates recently. Shaky financial situation.

exactly. W & C is not the place to start right now unless you have no other options that are even close. Proskauer obviously is a great firm so I would chose that stability over W & C

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:30 pm

White & Case is traditionally stronger in corp.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:there were rumors (on here) that they had fired first year associates recently. Shaky financial situation.

John here: After speaking with a lot of people, I sincerely doubt that the above is true (but I could be be wrong). Anyway, my understanding is that they are pretty leanly staffed at that level (first year associates), and less leanly staffed at the midlevel associate level.

monkey85

Postby monkey85 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:22 pm

Do you have any interest in working internationally after a few years? Proskauer is basically just a New York shop.

But that may not matter to you.

Old Gregg

Postby Old Gregg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:29 pm

White and case corp first years were doing jack shit at least up unit march. I've heard from higher ups that the sentiment is that they generally overhired.

I've been dealing with proskauer a lot on deals. They seem pretty busy.

ryanmot

Postby ryanmot » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:there were rumors (on here) that they had fired first year associates recently. Shaky financial situation.

John here: After speaking with a lot of people, I sincerely doubt that the above is true (but I could be be wrong). Anyway, my understanding is that they are pretty leanly staffed at that level (first year associates), and less leanly staffed at the midlevel associate level.

Proskauer is known to be in great financial shape while White & Case is not. First and second year associates are sweating it out right now at W&C hoping they aren't on the chopping block. Not the type of environment you want to be in. Proskauer has a sweet new office in NYC and is doing great from what I hear.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:53 am

John here: Thanks for all the input.

I like the international corporate work that W&C does, but not being downsized is also extremely important and Proskauer does have a nice office. Anyway, I have second visits scheduled with both firms. Anything I should ask? Anything that I should pay particular close attention to?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:03 am

I was told at my CB that they are shooting for a class of 36, which is more SAs than they had last year. The first and second year associates seemed more concerned about their long
hours than the lack of work.

I'm not really sure I'd trust the TLS rumors that they're laying off first years or that first years are sweating it out waiting for work. There are legitimate reasons not to like W&C, such as the intense culture and the high layoffs, but some of the rumors around here seem off

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was told at my CB that they are shooting for a class of 36, which is more SAs than they had last year. The first and second year associates seemed more concerned about their long

I'm not really sure I'd trust the TLS rumors that they're laying off first years or that first years are sweating it out waiting for work. There are legitimate reasons not to like W&C, such as the intense culture and the high layoffs, but some of the rumors around here seem off

John here: This was exactly my impression; however, as they say, where there's smoke...

Lawyerhead

Postby Lawyerhead » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was told at my CB that they are shooting for a class of 36, which is more SAs than they had last year. The first and second year associates seemed more concerned about their long

John here: This was exactly my impression; however, as they say, where there's smoke...

You guys really shouldn't put much stock into random rumors you read on here. I know what's written on here about my own firm is so far off base, I can't imagine the info about other firms is any more accurate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:46 am

Lawyerhead wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

You guys really shouldn't put much stock into random rumors you read on here. I know what's written on here about my own firm is so far off base, I can't imagine the info about other firms is any more accurate.

This. Because the assciates I know at the firm say pretty much the opposite of what is posted on here, I would take random rumors you read with a grain of salt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:39 pm

John here: After visiting both firms, again, I chose White & Case.

I am as sure as I can be at this point that White & Case is doing well.

Return to “Legal Employment”