LA Firms with no "hard GPA floor"

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LA Firms with no "hard GPA floor"

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:43 pm

Currently clerking for a federal judge in Southern Cal. T2 school, mediocre grades and no LR/MC. Landed the clerkship because I worked with the same judge for a year during law school. I'd like to land a gig in LA when my term is up, but am wondering which firms to target. Are there any firms without a "hard GPA floor?" I'm guessing biglaw is out, but I'm also curious about midlaw. Thanks!

anon168

Re: LA Firms with no "hard GPA floor"

Postby anon168 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Currently clerking for a federal judge in Southern Cal. T2 school, mediocre grades and no LR/MC. Landed the clerkship because I worked with the same judge for a year during law school. I'd like to land a gig in LA when my term is up, but am wondering which firms to target. Are there any firms without a "hard GPA floor?" I'm guessing biglaw is out, but I'm also curious about midlaw. Thanks!

With the possible exceptions of MTO, Susman and Irell, there are probably no firms in LA that have a true "hard" GPA cutoff.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:46 pm

^ Agree with the above. Gibson also, it is rumored, has a hard GPA cutoff. I have heard conflicting things about whether Latham does.

I also assume O'Melveny would be tough to crack w/out a stellar GPA.

Skadden is selective but more relaxed than one might think about grades if they like your resume and personality. Nearly everyone else seems more flexible.

I'd apply everywhere Jeffer Mangels, Best Best & Krieger and Manatt come to mind as does Sheppard Mullin (normally I'd say that would be a reach but who knows who anyone would view the clerkship). Other then that there about a million small and mid-size big law satellite offices that are solid and probably various degrees of less selective then the top few firms in the market.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^ Agree with the above. Gibson also, it is rumored, has a hard GPA cutoff. I have heard conflicting things about whether Latham does.

Skadden is more relaxed then one might think if they like your resume and personality. Nearly everyone else seems more flexible.

The LA biglaw trifecta -- LW, GDC, and OMM -- do not have hard GPA cutoffs, esp. if you are coming out of a clerkship. As 2L or 3L, it might be different, however.

Note: When I say "hard GPA cutoff" I mean that if you fall below that cutoff, they won't even give you consideration and it's an auto ding. LW, GDC, OMM do not fall into that category for post-clerkship applicants, esp. for kids coming out of a CDCA clerkship.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:53 pm

anon168 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:^ Agree with the above. Gibson also, it is rumored, has a hard GPA cutoff. I have heard conflicting things about whether Latham does.

Skadden is more relaxed then one might think if they like your resume and personality. Nearly everyone else seems more flexible.

The LA biglaw trifecta -- LW, GDC, and OMM -- do not have hard GPA cutoffs, esp. if you are coming out of a clerkship. As 2L or 3L, it might be different, however.

Note: When I say "hard GPA cutoff" I mean that if you fall below that cutoff, they won't even give you consideration and it's an auto ding. LW, GDC, OMM do not fall into that category for post-clerkship applicants, esp. for kids coming out of a CDCA clerkship.

Anon from the post above this one - I defer to you on post-clerkship hiring. These are just rumors I've heard regarding 2L hiring for the summer so may be different in this situation.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon168 wrote:

Anon from the post above this one - I defer to you on post-clerkship hiring. These are just rumors I've heard regarding 2L hiring for the summer so may be different in this situation.

No doubt 2L and 3L hiring is different. Totally agree with you on that.

Postby 005618502 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:04 pm

When people talk about no hard GPA floor.... if you are below median you will still be auto dinged right? I would imagine this would be the case for all the firms mentioned even from T14 with ties to CA.

Am I wrong? Dont see how you would get the interview without the grades in the first place

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:04 pm

OP here. I should qualify - I am coming out of a magistrate clerkship, and a strong regional school (think Loyola, Davis, USD).
I'm assuming that changes the analysis. I don't have the credentials for firms like LW, etc, but I'm hoping to land at a reputable mid-size firm. Any thoughts?

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. I should qualify - I am coming out of a magistrate clerkship, and a strong regional school (think Loyola, Davis, USD).
I'm assuming that changes the analysis. I don't have the credentials for firms like LW, etc, but I'm hoping to land at a reputable mid-size firm. Any thoughts?

Yes it does.

I would target firms like Manatt Phelps, Sheppard Mullin, Cox Castle, Jeffer Mangels, Rutan, Payne & Fears, Buchalter, Wood Smith, etc. and satellite offices of national midsized firms like Nossamer, Dykema, etc.

Return to “Legal Employment”