seriously think i failed the bar.... Have a full time offer. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

seriously think i failed the bar.... Have a full time offer.

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:07 pm

I think i failed the bar.... What are the chances that my firm will let me retake without firing me? I am in corporate at a midlaw/biglaw firm. 3L hire.

sawwaverunner

Bronze

Re: seriously think i failed the bar.... Have a full time offer.

Post by sawwaverunner » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:15 pm

What makes you think you failed the bar? Are you in a difficult state?

I would say your chances of staying will depend on how strong your connections are to the firm and, more importantly, what the specific needs of that firm are. If they need someone to jump right in and do litigation work or other work that requires a license, you may be out of luck. But I wouldn't count yourself out too soon. In any case, if you don't pass, you can worry about it then. Are you already working for the firm?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:21 pm

sawwaverunner wrote:What makes you think you failed the bar? Are you in a difficult state?

I would say your chances of staying will depend on how strong your connections are to the firm and, more importantly, what the specific needs of that firm are. If they need someone to jump right in and do litigation work or other work that requires a license, you may be out of luck. But I wouldn't count yourself out too soon. In any case, if you don't pass, you can worry about it then. Are you already working for the firm?
cuz the MBE went just awful. It was one of the hardest tests I have ever taken. I am in corporate. Pass rate is ~70-75%. South.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:28 pm

Check your offer letter and offer of employment docs. My firm essentially gives you three chances to pass because the language says you have a year from your original start date to pass.

MBE was absolutely terrible btw, fucking mortgages questions.

sawwaverunner

Bronze

Post by sawwaverunner » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sawwaverunner wrote:What makes you think you failed the bar? Are you in a difficult state?

cuz the MBE went just awful. It was one of the hardest tests I have ever taken. I am in corporate. Pass rate is ~70-75%. South.
I don't know anyone who left after the MBE day feeling great about how they did. I would think that wouldn't necessarily be a great sign if someone left saying the problems were no problem.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:38 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:Check your offer letter and offer of employment docs. My firm essentially gives you three chances to pass because the language says you have a year from your original start date to pass.

MBE was absolutely terrible btw, fucking mortgages questions.
Mortgage questions were horrendous.

It says continued employment will be contingent on passing the _ bar. It doesn't give a time period.

I think it reads that they would probably fire me if I failed the bar.

crabcash

New

Post by crabcash » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:40 pm

Generally the rule for biglaw is you get a one time pass, fail twice = out. But, you probably passed

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:29 pm

crabcash wrote:Generally the rule for biglaw is you get a one time pass, fail twice = out. But, you probably passed
I actually asked a partner at my firm (a mentor from 2L summer I've kept in touch with). Was told that our firm will let you retake in February.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are the chances that my firm will let me retake without firing me?
Close to 100%.

Passing the bar is good, failing it once isn't a big deal to most firms. You just take it again. People have to take bar exams while practicing all the time (reciprocity often requires 5 years and people move or have practice areas shift geographically) and it's not like you were going to be doing stuff for the firm that required admission your first few months anyway.

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:59 pm

Every big law firm gives you two chances to pass. But they will make you leave if you don't pass the second time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”