Orrick vs. Fenwick & West in Silicon Valley

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Orrick vs. Fenwick & West in Silicon Valley

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:30 pm

If any of you have any insight into these two firms, either because you selected between them or worked there or have a friend who worked there, I'd love to hear it. Looking at Orrick-Menlo Park and Fenwick-Mountain View.

I really liked both of the firms when I visited for callbacks. I thought the people at both were really nice and people I've met from my law school who went to either firm seemed to really like it and enjoyed it there. I'm interested in doing intellectual property work, but not sure whether I want to do more IP lit or tech transactions. I'm a lot more interested in soft IP (copyright & trademarks) than hard IP, have a soft science background, and am not eligible for the patent bar. I could do flyback visits to meet more people, but I really liked the sample of people I met at both callbacks and don't really think a small handful of people would help me decide either way. A slight advantage to Fenwick is that if I wanted to live in the city, the bullet train goes to Mountain View, but that seems like a somewhat ridiculous reason to select it.

Anonymous User

Re: Orrick vs. Fenwick & West in Silicon Valley

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:37 pm

Choose Fenwick. It's got momentum.

Ease of commute should definitely be on your top factors to consider. When you're working long hours, the last thing you want to worry about is traffic, parking, etc.

Anonymous User

Re: Orrick vs. Fenwick & West in Silicon Valley

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:50 am

Bump.

I should add that I'm a fairly quirky individual and that I'm also on the young side.

Return to “Legal Employment”