anything unique about a callback at a small boutique firm?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

anything unique about a callback at a small boutique firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:37 pm

This firm is my first choice for this market.
I'm already focusing on making sure that I get across the idea that I'd fit into their unique culture (personable, etc etc)

any other thoughts

Anonymous User

Re: anything unique about a callback at a small boutique firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Bumping this because I'm interested as well. Is there really any way in which you should approach it differently from a Big Firm CB? It's difficult to glean what the "culture" is when you haven't experienced it yourself, so as OP said, isn't all you can do be personable? Is there more of an emphasis on the firm thinking you're ready to be put in front of a client? Should you express interest in the firm's particular strength, or seem more open to different practice areas?

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping this because I'm interested as well. Is there really any way in which you should approach it differently from a Big Firm CB? It's difficult to glean what the "culture" is when you haven't experienced it yourself, so as OP said, isn't all you can do be personable? Is there more of an emphasis on the firm thinking you're ready to be put in front of a client? Should you express interest in the firm's particular strength, or seem more open to different practice areas?

Get ready to wait. All the boutiques I've interviewed with do not give out offers until they interview every candidate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:29 am

Ugh. That is consistent with the fact that this was also my most difficult CB to schedule. It's one of my last ones, and I don't have an offer yet. So I guess I'm in for a treat. Thanks for the info, though.

-10:20

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:33 am

Can you guys give me a better sense of what you mean by "small boutique"? That could mean anything from a 10 person shop, to a 50 lawyer shop.

PM me if you want.

nonprofit-prophet

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:38 am

anon168 wrote:Can you guys give me a better sense of what you mean by "small boutique"? That could mean anything from a 10 person shop, to a 50 lawyer shop.

PM me if you want.

Edit: misunderstood the question.
Last edited by nonprofit-prophet on Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:41 am

anon168 wrote:Can you guys give me a better sense of what you mean by "small boutique"? That could mean anything from a 10 person shop, to a 50 lawyer shop.

PM me if you want.

OP here

The one I'm talking about is about 35 lawyers.

anon168

Postby anon168 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:

PM me if you want.

OP here

The one I'm talking about is about 35 lawyers.

If it's that size, I would just treat it as if were a typical biglaw type CB interview. The only wrinkle might be that you should not ask stock questions of everyone you meet. If you know your schedule, look up their bios and have at least 2 questions per person that is tailored specifically to that individual -- be it a practice area, a case, or an alumni connection.

Also stress how you or why you like a boutique as opposed to biglaw. This could be anything from wanting to practice law on a more personal basis, wanting to be more than just a number or a faceless associate, practice area, etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Return to “Legal Employment”