Firm Cultures to Avoid

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Firm Cultures to Avoid

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:The obvious: Cravath, S&C, Skadden NY
Yes. I'm a V10 midlevel associate and I can tell you that if you care about lifestyle, friends, happiness, balance, you should run far from these three firms in particular. The rumors about these firms are not exaggerated. If you can land these firms, you can land a firm like Debevoise, which is about as good as a V10 gets. Lockstep partner compensation (which Debevoise has) alleviates stress among the partnership and partners with lower stress levels don't abuse people. Everyone I know at Debevoise works hard but is satisfied. Cleary is a passive aggressive place. They don't know if they want to be Cravath or Debevoise and partners there really vary wildly. Kirkland is high stress and encourages gunnerism because it's not quite lockstep. It's like a wannabe Boies, which is strange because it predates Boies. Davis Polk is said to be a good place to work compared to the rest of the V10 (except Debevoise). As far as Boies goes, money is the only reason to go to Boies Schiller. I've heard it's a miserable, very high stress place with high attrition (higher than usual). None of the people I know there has lasted more than two years (and these are highly motivated gunners).

Can you talk about STB? Thank you!

V10 midlevel associate here. This is the one V10 I know little about. That means it is not a very negative, miserable place like Cravath, S&C and Skadden (because if it was, I would have heard about that). It also means it is probably not as decent a place to work as Debevoise and Davis Polk (because again, if it was, I would have heard about that).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:11 pm

What about Skadden NY? I know it's a sweatshop, but arent all NYC biglaw more or less sweatshops?

Sgtpeppernyc

Postby Sgtpeppernyc » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What about Skadden NY? I know it's a sweatshop, but arent all NYC biglaw more or less sweatshops?

The exception, at least for me, are smaller offices (i.e. < 100 attny's) of non-NY-based firms. I've interviewed with a few of them and found that while they are exceptional lawyers with impressive practices, they aren't as much sweatshops and have really friendly cultures.

Return to “Legal Employment”