MoFo or Mayer Brown DC? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Which offer should I select?

Morrison & Foerster- DC
62%
Mayer Brown- DC
38%

Total votes: 13

Anonymous User

MoFo or Mayer Brown DC?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:01 pm

I want to do litigation and place a premium on a very friendly work environment. Below are the pros/cons as I see them. :

MoFo
Pros- 1) Better than MB nationally 2) DC does a lot of patent litigation, which I find intriguing because of the relative attractiveness of the clientele 3) great reputation for being a good place to work 4) extremely high yield rate (summer associate/offer ratio) 5) the office, while not extremely social, seems to value having a life outside of work (several people mentioned leaving at reasonable hours to spent time with family) 6) strong business outlook, particularly on the back of its huge win in Apple-Samsung 7) may look slightly better on a resume?
Cons- 1) Mediocre office visit. More neurotic people than normal, perhaps because of the IP strength 2) No hard science background, so it might be harder to lateral to an in-house (a possible goal) if I end up doing IP litigation.

Mayer Brown
Pros 1) Superb and relatively large (60+) Supreme Court and appellate practice (of course, I might not be able to get into it); 2) Better than MoFo in DC and about 2x its size 3) the most positive office visit I had 4) very strong in many fields of litigation, whereas MoFo's DC strength is more specialized to patent
Cons 1) Mediocre to poor showings on satisfaction surveys 2) Lower associate-permanent offer ratio, especially during the recession 3) seems to have a weaker business outlook than MoFo

Anonymous User

Re: MoFo or Mayer Brown DC?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:57 pm

edit
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:36 pm

Fairly even choice, but I go with MoFo because it's a better brand.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:39 pm

Mayer Brown because of the SCOTUS practice. If you're interested in litigation, that's as good as it gets.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:37 pm

bump

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fairly even choice, but I go with MoFo because it's a better brand.
Anonymous User wrote:Mayer Brown because of the SCOTUS practice. If you're interested in litigation, that's as good as it gets.
@OP: Don't pretend to be different users in your own thread.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:42 pm

I had dinner with one of Mayer Brown's appellate partners over the summer; absolutely loved the experience. If MB DC were hiring for non-tax from my school, I'd have been begging for a spot.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:45 pm

bk187 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fairly even choice, but I go with MoFo because it's a better brand.
Anonymous User wrote:Mayer Brown because of the SCOTUS practice. If you're interested in litigation, that's as good as it gets.
@OP: Don't pretend to be different users in your own thread.
LOL

i'll say this: as i understand it, the IP at MoFo DC is very ITC-heavy. consider that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:05 pm

What are the downsides to an ITC heavy IP practice?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What are the downsides to an ITC heavy IP practice?
absurd pace, lots of trials which probably translates into a ton of hours. arguably an opportunity for a lot of experience, but other, more experienced people on this board have suggested that ITC cases are not a good way to learn.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”