DOJ Honors 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:18 pm

great. guess I can stop monitoring this thread and resign myself to graduating without a job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:great. guess I can stop monitoring this thread and resign myself to graduating without a job.

I am hoping that I won't have to worry about such issues when I win the Powerball tonight.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:great. guess I can stop monitoring this thread and resign myself to graduating without a job.

I am hoping that I won't have to worry about such issues when I win the Powerball tonight.

oh have you also spent the day wondering whether to take the lump sum or the annuity? I decided on annuity. The first years' $5 mil, even post-tax, is plenty to pay off my student loans and wipe forever from my financial slate the horrific mistake I made by going to law school.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I called EOIR today to check my status because I received an offer from another agency and have a short time to reply. My references have not been called and I am an OCIJ and BIA Finalist. I asked whether I am an alternate, in which case I could accept my other offer without hesitation. I was told that the fact that my references have not been called does not mean that I will not receive a first-round offer. I was also told to wait until tomorrow to follow-up and that they could not confirm my status today. I also know one person who received a BIA offer late in the day today.

Thanks for reporting this, although what a frustrating response to get! Hope you get good news tomorrow.

jdec12

Postby jdec12 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:09 pm

Another OCIJ finalist here, sans offer, whose references have been contacted (all 3, tho only 2 have replied as of yet).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:11 pm

It seems to me that there are enough OCIJ people on here whose references have been contacted but who haven't received offers, AND it takes long enough to contact 58-65 people, that the process probably isn't over. (Just a guess, though.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:18 am

I received an OCIJ offer yesterday. All three of my references were contacted via e-mail; I received a phone call. Region: Western and Rocky Mountain States.

Because they make calls one-by-one and there are many OCIJ positions, I do not expect they are done making offers yet. They are giving about three weeks for offers to be accepted--so alternates might not hear anything until the end of December/beginning of January.

Good luck to everyone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:I received an OCIJ offer yesterday. All three of my references were contacted via e-mail; I received a phone call. Region: Western and Rocky Mountain States.

Because they make calls one-by-one and there are many OCIJ positions, I do not expect they are done making offers yet. They are giving about three weeks for offers to be accepted--so alternates might not hear anything until the end of December/beginning of January.

Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations! :D (I envy your location - hope it was one of your top choices!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I received an OCIJ offer yesterday. All three of my references were contacted via e-mail; I received a phone call. Region: Western and Rocky Mountain States.

Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations! :D (I envy your location - hope it was one of your top choices!)

Congrats on the offer. I am also a finalist for EOIR, and I also know that three references were checked. I'm curious who calls to extend offers-- is it the OCIJ? Also, do you know the exact location or just the region?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:11 am

EOIR called my references today for the first time and I heard from a source that they're planning to make me a first round offer. Offers are definitely still being made! Hang in there!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Good luck to everyone!

Congrats on the offer. I am also a finalist for EOIR, and I also know that three references were checked. I'm curious who calls to extend offers-- is it the OCIJ? Also, do you know the exact location or just the region?

OCIJ made the offer and I do know the exact location. Great news that you're a finalist and references were checked--hang in there!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:EOIR called my references today for the first time and I heard from a source that they're planning to make me a first round offer. Offers are definitely still being made! Hang in there!

Congratulations --- great news! Is that OCIJ or another component?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:18 am

I know this is the Honors thread, but the SLIP message board is totally dead.

I've been selected as a finalist by OCIJ for the SLIP. Anyone else here on the same boat as me?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:I know this is the Honors thread, but the SLIP message board is totally dead.

I've been selected as a finalist by OCIJ for the SLIP. Anyone else here on the same boat as me?

Please post in the SLIP thread and not the Honors thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:OCIJ made the offer and I do know the exact location.

For those who have gotten offers - can you tell us how well your location fits your stated preferences?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:EOIR called my references today for the first time and I heard from a source that they're planning to make me a first round offer. Offers are definitely still being made! Hang in there!

Out of curiosity, who was your source? Would you recommend calling the interviewer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Out of curiosity, who was your source? Would you recommend calling the interviewer?

I wouldn't call the interviewer. I don't think that's really going to do anything. A few of my friends from law school are/were law clerks at immigration courts. My understanding of the process for OCIJ (for law clerks to be placed at immigration courts throughout the country) is that the interviewers don't really have control over where you end up. Interviewers are usually ACIJs (Asst Chief Immigration Judges) who ask you questions they're given on a sheet. After the interview, they'll give OCIJ/headquarters their feedback, and the best interviewees get ranked and then it's a matching game on who gets offers for various cities (I think the higher you are ranked, the more likely you are to get one of your top choices, so if you only listed, say, Arlington or San Fran or NY, it's much harder to get an offer... a lot of people list somewhere near DC or another popular/big city). Also, it's often likely that former SLIP interns got the most desirable cities already (if a SLIP intern is good, they're usually encouraged to come back as a law clerk).

An earlier poster is correct that if you're a finalist, it could be as late as January when you hear because you could be their second choice. I've had friends hear back in January. If you said you are willing to go anywhere and you haven't heard, you could be an alternate (or even their first choice, but it takes awhile to make calls), and I wouldn't stress. There are a lot of courts in cities that aren't very competitive and aren't in super desirable locations, so it's very possible that someone was offered a smaller city, takes some time to think it over, decides it's not worth picking up and moving to a small city, and turns it down in 3 weeks. Then, it could be offered to you as their second choice, but not til after the holidays, when employees are back from vacation.

I'd also guess that if it's the end of December and you only listed major cities or headquarters and you haven't heard, it's likely you were an alternate and the first choice said yes.

These are totally just thoughts from sources who have gone through the process, but remember that nobody really knows all the details of how they were hired, so don't lose hope until January and stop stressing!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't call the interviewer. I don't think that's really going to do anything. A few of my friends from law school are/were law clerks at immigration courts. My understanding of the process for OCIJ (for law clerks to be placed at immigration courts throughout the country) is that the interviewers don't really have control over where you end up. Interviewers are usually ACIJs (Asst Chief Immigration Judges) who ask you questions they're given on a sheet. After the interview, they'll give OCIJ/headquarters their feedback, and the best interviewees get ranked and then it's a matching game on who gets offers for various cities (I think the higher you are ranked, the more likely you are to get one of your top choices, so if you only listed, say, Arlington or San Fran or NY, it's much harder to get an offer... a lot of people list somewhere near DC or another popular/big city). Also, it's often likely that former SLIP interns got the most desirable cities already (if a SLIP intern is good, they're usually encouraged to come back as a law clerk).

An earlier poster is correct that if you're a finalist, it could be as late as January when you hear because you could be their second choice. I've had friends hear back in January. If you said you are willing to go anywhere and you haven't heard, you could be an alternate (or even their first choice, but it takes awhile to make calls), and I wouldn't stress. There are a lot of courts in cities that aren't very competitive and aren't in super desirable locations, so it's very possible that someone was offered a smaller city, takes some time to think it over, decides it's not worth picking up and moving to a small city, and turns it down in 3 weeks. Then, it could be offered to you as their second choice, but not til after the holidays, when employees are back from vacation.

I'd also guess that if it's the end of December and you only listed major cities or headquarters and you haven't heard, it's likely you were an alternate and the first choice said yes.

These are totally just thoughts from sources who have gone through the process, but remember that nobody really knows all the details of how they were hired, so don't lose hope until January and stop stressing!

My JLC supervisors from this summer also thought that the higher ranked interviewees get first choice for location, but I asked the ACIJ I interviewed with about this and she said the decisions are completely separate.

ch2262

Postby ch2262 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thanks! This is helpful to keep in mind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:02 pm

Has anyone received an offer from OCAHO/OLAP/OCG yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:10 pm

Any ENRD offers? When did your status change to Finalist? Were your references contacted and when?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any ENRD offers? When did your status change to Finalist? Were your references contacted and when?

Besides this one? viewtopic.php?f=23&t=193525&start=775#p6110440 (Unfortunately, not much info...)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an offer from OCAHO/OLAP/OCG yet?

I am still "selected as finalist," but no offer and my references have not been contacted...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I am still "selected as finalist," but no offer and my references have not been contacted...

Ditto - in the same boat.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ditto - in the same boat.

Ditto for me too. Okay then... wish they would hurry up! I want to know if I can stop doing other applications (some of which include pesky essays!). Oh well. Thanks for chiming in guys :)

Return to “Legal Employment”