DOJ Honors 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:38 pm

Just got the e-mail too!!!!!!!

Stats: T2, 10%, Secondary Journal, MC, DOJ externships.

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got the email! *FAINTS*

"Congratulations! You have been selected for an interview for the Attorney General's Honors Program."


Congrats! Which component?


EOIR

anon5
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:37 pm

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby anon5 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:38 pm

Just got my interview email (EOIR)!

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:39 pm

Now to find out which EOIR components selected us! I'm so excited!!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:40 pm

INTERVIEW!!!!!!!

(seriously not meaning to gloat here... I am sure that I will be properly dinged in time. But the notices have started to go out. I got an e-mail, my status online hasn't changed yet. as announced, it doesn't say which components.)

(edited: okay, clearly I got the e-mail at the same time as everyone else! it's probably EOIR for me, too, b/c they were one of my components.)

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School: Top 25
Grades: Top 15%
Journal: None
Department: Antitrust, Criminal, U.S. Trustee

Experience: Previous WE not related to any of above, semester internship with state AG working in bankruptcy, paid antitrust fellowship, summer internship at DOJ.


Selected for interview email just came! Component unknown.

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:49 pm

I wonder how many EOIR will interview. There are an insane amount of positions open this year (compared to previous years, especially in OCIJ), and this is the first time in forever that the BIA is hiring through the HP (though they are probably hiring previous JLCs). It seems like they may be interviewing a lot of people (judging from the amount who have already said they got the email). Oh, I'm just really to excited to listen in Corporations right now and would rather blab on TLS. OMG!

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:School: Top 25
Grades: Top 15%
Journal: None
Department: Antitrust, Criminal, U.S. Trustee

Experience: Previous WE not related to any of above, semester internship with state AG working in bankruptcy, paid antitrust fellowship, summer internship at DOJ.


Selected for interview email just came! Component unknown.


Probably antitrust. I only applied to ATR and just got the email. I think both ATR and Crim only interview those that rank them #1.

luckyduck
Posts: 102
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:06 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby luckyduck » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:52 pm

Z

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School: T30
Grades: Top 20%
Journal: Editor on L. Rev.
Dept Applied for: EOIR only
Geographic Target: Anywhere

Experience: Immigration Clinic (obtained relief from removal for client w/ possible aggravated felony-- DHS never proved it was), worked at immigration law firm (also did civil litigation, probably 50/50 split), criminal clinic, internships at public defender (lots of noncitizen clients) w/ one of the internships being a trial attorney under the PD's supervision, wrote my L. Rev. note on an immigration issue that will be heard by SCOTUS next term, served in the US military (veteran preference), volunteered at numerous legal fairs/citizenship drives for Spanish-speaking people in my area

Will update if/when I hear anything.


Selected for interview today (EOIR) -- SO HAPPY

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:08 pm

Just Selected for Interview as well.

T30, LR (Published), Top 1/3. Congrats everyone else too!

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:11 pm

Interview:

T14, top5%, secondary LR with note, two past DOJ jobs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:12 pm

So far I have not been selected. Posting stats without the department is not helpful, people!

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:13 pm

Interview!!! US Trustee. (no reference calls that I'm aware of)

EDIT: Just received an email so far. My status on Avue is still referred to components.

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Update from Ms. Williams:

"As a follow-up, a few minutes ago we issued a general email message to everyone currently selected for interview. Again, the specific notification messages identifying the selecting components probably will go out tomorrow. All the hiring components (except OSG) are moving forward, but as soon as we notify folks, we'll see withdrawals start hitting the system as people who accepted other positions update their application status. As the components get greater clarity, they will likely supplement their interview lists. We restrict the number of applicants each component can select for interviews based on the number of positions they are hiring for so that we can support government-funded interviews. We understand how frustrating it is to wait, but appreciate all the wonderful applicants who have expressed interest in working for DOJ."

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Update from Ms. Williams:

"As a follow-up, a few minutes ago we issued a general email message to everyone currently selected for interview. Again, the specific notification messages identifying the selecting components probably will go out tomorrow. All the hiring components (except OSG) are moving forward, but as soon as we notify folks, we'll see withdrawals start hitting the system as people who accepted other positions update their application status. As the components get greater clarity, they will likely supplement their interview lists. We restrict the number of applicants each component can select for interviews based on the number of positions they are hiring for so that we can support government-funded interviews. We understand how frustrating it is to wait, but appreciate all the wonderful applicants who have expressed interest in working for DOJ."


So no, email, no interview? That's it?

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:38 pm

Which components do you think have not selected?

What does it mean if your application status is still at received?

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Anyone get an email with crim as their first choice?

Thanks in advance.

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interview!!! US Trustee. (no reference calls that I'm aware of)

EDIT: Just received an email so far. My status on Avue is still referred to components.


Did you receive a separate e-mail indicating your interview is with the US Trustee?

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Interview!!! US Trustee. (no reference calls that I'm aware of)

EDIT: Just received an email so far. My status on Avue is still referred to components.


Did you receive a separate e-mail indicating your interview is with the US Trustee?


No. I just know because they were the only component I ranked.

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:14 pm

Who is Deana Willis? And where can I see these posts?

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Who is Deana Willis? And where can I see these posts?


She works for DOJ. You can see these posts on the Avue site (where you applied) under the Community tab.

On that note, she posted something else--

Hi,folks:

Please give us time to update the online status and send the notifications. If for some reason the initial email we sent out gets routed to your spam file, or your email crashes, or anything else goes awry, be assured that we will follow up.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
worldtraveler
Posts: 8005
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:47 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:T10
School Doesn't Rank
EOIR
Target: Anywhere

Lots of immigration and refugee law experience.

Still at Application Received. I'm not going to panic yet though as I imagine they are still doing elibility review.


Got e-mail about interview.

For everyone who didn't get it yet, don't lose hope! It didn't say anything about all the e-mails going out at once and it's possible they're still coming :).

bradley
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:14 pm

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby bradley » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:26 pm

Does anybody else's status still say "application received by DOJ" and never even said "application referred to components"?

Anonymous User
Posts: 214617
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:30 pm

bradley wrote:Does anybody else's status still say "application received by DOJ" and never even said "application referred to components"?


Mine does. I haven't heard anything about an interview yet.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.