DOJ Honors 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:13 pm

FWIW - I know a few folks who interviewed with OCIJ who said they have been selected as a finalist and their references have been contacted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:21 pm

Anyone heard from EOIR-OCAHO, EOIR-OLAP, or EOIR-OCG?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:40 pm

I was selected as a finalist for a non-OCIJ position but my references have not been contacted.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was selected as a finalist for a non-OCIJ position but my references have not been contacted.

In EOIR?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was selected as a finalist for a non-OCIJ position but my references have not been contacted.

In EOIR?

Yes, and not at the BIA

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:58 pm

BIA finalist here, no word yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BIA finalist here, no word yet.

BIA interviewee here as well. No word about references or anything. I was selected as a finalist, but not sure if by BIA or another component (I was interviewed by more than one). To the other BIA finalist above, have you been officially "Selected as a Finalist"?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

BIA finalist here as well. No word about references or anything. To the other BIA finalist above, have you been officially "Selected as a Finalist"?

Yes. Though I'm beginning to suspect that everyone who interviewed was.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

BIA finalist here as well. No word about references or anything. To the other BIA finalist above, have you been officially "Selected as a Finalist"?

I am thinking you are correct. According to my math, the BIA interviewed 16 people for the four spots. Therefore, there is about a 50/50 chance that one of us will be tapped (I think . . . that math is more fancy than just simple multiplication). I wonder if the BIA has checked any references yet. I know they have not checked mine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am thinking you are correct. According to my math, the BIA interviewed 16 people for the four spots. Therefore, there is about a 50/50 chance that one of us will be tapped (I think . . . that math is more fancy than just simple multiplication). I wonder if the BIA has checked any references yet. I know they have not checked mine.

Did the other component you interviewed with contact references?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am thinking you are correct. According to my math, the BIA interviewed 16 people for the four spots. Therefore, there is about a 50/50 chance that one of us will be tapped (I think . . . that math is more fancy than just simple multiplication). I wonder if the BIA has checked any references yet. I know they have not checked mine.

Did the other component you interviewed with contact references?

Yes. Did you interview with any other components?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:15 pm

Anybody get an actual offer from Crim?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Why would they select EVERYONE they interviewed with as a finalist?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm a finalist (found out on Thursday, I think) for EOIR. Not OCIJ and not BIA. Anyone else? None of my references have been contacted, though. My friend who was offered OCIJ (and not at one of her top 5 locations either) was offered the position the Tuesday before Thanksgiving in the last cycle, so I'm hoping we'll all hear this week. But if my references haven't been contacted yet, I have a feeling I'm an alternate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a finalist (found out on Thursday, I think) for EOIR. Not OCIJ and not BIA. Anyone else? None of my references have been contacted, though. My friend who was offered OCIJ (and not at one of her top 5 locations either) was offered the position the Tuesday before Thanksgiving in the last cycle, so I'm hoping we'll all hear this week. But if my references haven't been contacted yet, I have a feeling I'm an alternate.

I'm in the same boat - from people on this board it doesn't seem like OCAHO/OLAP/OCG has called references yet like OCIJ so I would retain hope :) . Has anyone interviewed for any of those offices and NOT been selected as a finalist?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:55 pm

Anyone heard from ENRD? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm a finalist (found out on Thursday, I think) for EOIR. Not OCIJ and not BIA. Anyone else? None of my references have been contacted, though. My friend who was offered OCIJ (and not at one of her top 5 locations either) was offered the position the Tuesday before Thanksgiving in the last cycle, so I'm hoping we'll all hear this week. But if my references haven't been contacted yet, I have a feeling I'm an alternate.

I'm in the same boat - from people on this board it doesn't seem like OCAHO/OLAP/OCG has called references yet like OCIJ so I would retain hope :) . Has anyone interviewed for any of those offices and NOT been selected as a finalist?

Good to know I'm not alone. I'll post if I hear anything, either way!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm in the same boat - from people on this board it doesn't seem like OCAHO/OLAP/OGC has called references yet like OCIJ so I would retain hope :) . Has anyone interviewed for any of those offices and NOT been selected as a finalist?

I interviewed with one of those offices, and have been selected as a finalist, but I also interviewed with OCIJ, so I don't know who's selected me as a finalist. I haven't heard that anyone's contacted my references (which, like the poster above, I tend to see as a bad sign - but I'm a pessimist, so...). (Will certainly update if I learn more!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Logically I'm not sure, but they only interviewed 16 people for BIA and everyone who posts here who was interviewed was also selected as a finalist. Plus they need to have at least an offer and an alternate for each spot. I heard it was more like two alternates per spot so maybe there are four people who interviewed with BIA but weren't selected as finalists and don't post here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Finalist status just means the component has approval from OARM and the political appointees to extend an offer to the applicant. Some components only send their top choices to OARM for approval, but others seem to send all their interviewees (maybe because it gives them more freedom to decide on who to hire after the finalist approval deadline has passed).

If you're a finalist, it just means OARM doesn't have a problem with you getting hired. It doesn't necessarily mean you're a top contender or anything. After a component requests finalist approval, OARM mostly just rubber stamps things unless they have some reason for screening the candidate out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Finalist status just means the component has approval from OARM and the political appointees to extend an offer to the applicant. Some components only send their top choices to OARM for approval, but others seem to send all their interviewees (maybe because it gives them more freedom to decide on who to hire after the finalist approval deadline has passed).

If you're a finalist, it just means OARM doesn't have a problem with you getting hired. It doesn't necessarily mean you're a top contender or anything. After a component requests finalist approval, OARM mostly just rubber stamps things unless they have some reason for screening the candidate out.

Well, that's depressing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Finalist status just means the component has approval from OARM and the political appointees to extend an offer to the applicant. Some components only send their top choices to OARM for approval, but others seem to send all their interviewees (maybe because it gives them more freedom to decide on who to hire after the finalist approval deadline has passed).

I'm not sure about the finalist approval deadline, though. According to OARM,

Deana Willis wrote:We hope that components complete their selections in the next few days but they have the discretion to add finalists at any time. Most will finalize their selections by next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Though I am usually a pessimist, I don't know that if your references haven't been contacted for OCIJ yet, that you won't be offered a position. Logistically speaking, contacting 3 references for 55-60 applicants has to take a while. I think we could see this process going on until at least second week of December.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Though I am usually a pessimist, I don't know that if your references haven't been contacted for OCIJ yet, that you won't be offered a position. Logistically speaking, contacting 3 references for 55-60 applicants has to take a while. I think we could see this process going on until at least second week of December.

OCIJ seems to be contacting them by email, so it may not take too terribly long.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:04 am

Any phones ring yet?

Return to “Legal Employment”