DOJ Honors 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:10 am

Is there anyone here who even got a CR interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:00 am

Does anyone know if there are a lot of former clerks or fellowshipers applying for EOIR (specifically OCIJ)? I've heard that many people try to use EOIR as a back door into DOJ, and I am curious about how many of those there are. Additionally, does anyone know how many people OCIJ interviewed?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if there are a lot of former clerks or fellowshipers applying for EOIR (specifically OCIJ)? I've heard that many people try to use EOIR as a back door into DOJ, and I am curious about how many of those there are. Additionally, does anyone know how many people OCIJ interviewed?

Anecodotally, I'm a current clerk applying for EOIR/OCIJ. I have no idea how many others there might be. I did get grilled quite a bit in my interview about why I'd want to do OCIJ after clerking (why would I want to clerk AGAIN). However, I wouldn't say I'm trying to backdoor my way into DOJ or that someone who has clerked/been on a fellowship is automatically trying to do so. (Sorry, I can't help you with numbers.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:37 am

Does anyone know how the selection process works? I know there were multiple locations interviewing for some positions, so I'm wondering if there is some ranking based on objective (resume) v. subjective (interview), etc. Any ideas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:08 am

I'm still waiting on USTP response. I interviewed in Week #2.

In my interview, I learned that most HP attorneys with USTP are former clerks. I was also told that the USTP would be notifying candidates (nearly) immediately after the end of the interview period. But, I'm sure that has changed because of the impromptu extension of the interview period.

I know at least with the USTP there are several interviewers, so I wish we could find out how this impacts the hiring decision. This is especially important when they are only hiring for 7 HP positions. Since there is still a hiring freeze beyond the HP class, there is even more pressure on this process.

Any one have news about USTP results?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm still waiting on USTP response. I interviewed in Week #2.

In my interview, I learned that most HP attorneys with USTP are former clerks. I was also told that the USTP would be notifying candidates (nearly) immediately after the end of the interview period. But, I'm sure that has changed because of the impromptu extension of the interview period.

I know at least with the USTP there are several interviewers, so I wish we could find out how this impacts the hiring decision. This is especially important when they are only hiring for 7 HP positions. Since there is still a hiring freeze beyond the HP class, there is even more pressure on this process.

Any one have news about USTP results?

I interviewed with USTP too. No news yet. Are you a bankruptcy clerk now?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am not currently a clerk. I was just offered a bankruptcy clerkship on Friday and I'm not sure I can prolong my answer much longer to wait for HP results.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I am not currently a clerk. I was just offered a bankruptcy clerkship on Friday and I'm not sure I can prolong my answer much longer to wait for HP results.

Hopefully we'll hear soon! Congrats on getting a clerkship though! I'm clerking now, and it's a great experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hopefully we'll hear soon! Congrats on getting a clerkship though! I'm clerking now, and it's a great experience.

Thank you so much! I am very excited! On a completely unrelated note - Any chance you could advise me on accepting the clerkship offer - I understand new grads start at JS 11-1, but is there any room to negotiate up the steps? I'd love your thoughts on this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you so much! I am very excited! On a completely unrelated note - Any chance you could advise me on accepting the clerkship offer - I understand new grads start at JS 11-1, but is there any room to negotiate up the steps? I'd love your thoughts on this.

Not the same clerk, but a clerk, and there really isn't any room to negotiate the steps (as I understand it) - it's based on your legal experience and there isn't much you can do about it. I did 2 clerkships, but I started the current one 50 weeks after I started the first (that is, I didn't do quite a full year at the first). They could not pay me at the 1-year-experience rate until I had worked one full year exactly. The experience is based on your legal experience after graduation, so if you do some kind of legal work during the summer after graduation (while studying for the bar), that will count, but it's only legal work after graduation that counts, and it's only prior experience that moves you up the pay-scale. As I understand it, there's really nothing to negotiate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you so much! I am very excited! On a completely unrelated note - Any chance you could advise me on accepting the clerkship offer - I understand new grads start at JS 11-1, but is there any room to negotiate up the steps? I'd love your thoughts on this.

Not that I'm aware of (maybe some other clerks can chime in). I even know a judge that starts his clerks at JS-9.

Particularly because of the judiciary's (and the federal government in general's) budget crisis, I would think it would be unlikely to get anything higher than JS 11-1. They even froze our salaries last year, so despite the fact that this is my second year clerking, I'm still at JS 11-1! :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Not that I'm aware of (maybe some other clerks can chime in). I even know a judge that starts his clerks at JS-9.

Particularly because of the judiciary's (and the federal government in general's) budget crisis, I would think it would be unlikely to get anything higher than JS 11-1. They even froze our salaries last year, so despite the fact that this is my second year clerking, I'm still at JS 11-1! :(

Thank you for these perspectives.

That is scary - that it can be as low as JS 9. In my offer via voicemail, the Judge did not mention where I will start, I want to accept when we speak today- but how can I confirm JS 11 without sounding ungrateful? Any tips on how to approach this?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thank you for these perspectives.

That is scary - that it can be as low as JS 9. In my offer via voicemail, the Judge did not mention where I will start, I want to accept when we speak today- but how can I confirm JS 11 without sounding ungrateful? Any tips on how to approach this?

The judge will probably say something about the salary when you talk to him/her today, but for detailed questions, you might ask for the contact info for the court's HR person - they're used to getting those kinds of questions and the judge may not know the details of how you move up the steps or what they count or so on. (The JA might be a better person to ask for that info than the judge.) You could just say you had some questions you wanted to ask HR. FWIW, I've never heard of anyone starting at JS 9 - not doubting the other clerk's experience, just saying that I don't know how common it is. And despite the federal budget issues, I got bumped up from JS 11 to JS 12 once I'd done the 2 weeks bringing me up to a year (and my predecessor got bumped up to JS 12 as soon as he had a year of experience).

(I guess the real question is: if it's only JS 9 (vs JS 11), would you turn the clerkship down? Because unless you're willing to do that, you kinda have to grin and bear it.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Thank you for these perspectives.

The judge that does JS-9, he's the only one I've ever heard of ever doing that. I really don't think that is at all likely, and this judge puts it in his job posting, so everyone applying knows that upfront. Not really sure why he does it that way, as I'm fairly confident he has the authority to hire at JS-11.

I think you can rest assured that JS-11 is what you'll be getting. (Sorry, I really didn't mean to scare you).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:45 pm

Selected as Finalist! So excited! Status just changed today!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Selected as Finalist! So excited! Status just changed today!

Congrats!!!! (envious!!!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Selected as Finalist! So excited! Status just changed today!

Congrats!!! Which component?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Don't want to out myself because I'm guessing not very many people are designated as finalists for this component, but it is NOT Antitrust or EOIR.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:51 pm

Still no change -- NSD (first week interview)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Don't want to out myself because I'm sure it's not very many people that are finalists now, but it is NOT EOIR or Antitrust

I will now be glued to Avue all day today, sigh... did your references get called before your status changed? (Thanks for answering everyone's questions!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Don't want to out myself because I'm sure it's not very many people that are finalists now, but it is NOT EOIR or Antitrust

I will now be glued to Avue all day today, sigh... did your references get called before your status changed? (Thanks for answering everyone's questions!)

None of my references have let me know that they've been contacted if they have, so I'm not really sure. I am fairly confident they haven't called the Judge I clerk for (pretty sure he would have told me by now).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Still no word from anyone with a CR interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:01 am

Selected as a finalist yesterday around noon EST. No offer call yet. References were called before interview in Week #2.

Anyone know the likelihood of getting offer after being "selected as finalist"? I have heard that not all finalists receive offers. Is that true?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:Selected as a finalist yesterday around noon EST. No offer call yet. References were called before interview in Week #2.

Anyone know the likelihood of getting offer after being "selected as finalist"? I have heard that not all finalists receive offers. Is that true?

Congratulations! Which component?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:Selected as a finalist yesterday around noon EST. No offer call yet. References were called before interview in Week #2.

Congratulations! And no, not all finalists receive offers - being selected as a finalist means that you are approved for an offer. However, components get more people approved for offers than they can actually offer - you might be an alternate. (Sorry to be the bearer of the news!)

Return to “Legal Employment”