DOJ Honors 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I did not say DA is adjudicated by DOJ...I said that the docket could increase b/c of USCIS (DHS) referrals to ICE. Here's how it works...DA app applies for DA but is unqualified b/c of criminal record which app doesn't disclose to attorney (you'd be surprised how many people do this). USCIS receives app, sees criminal record and refers app to ICE for removal. ICE issues notice to appear (NTA), which then means app has a date with an IJ (EOIR)to face removal proceedings. This simple scenario multiplied over a thousand times, instantly increases the IJ's docket. Backlog notwithstanding, this will create more work for IJs in the not-to-distant future. There are other ways DA apps would end up in front of an IJ, but this is only one. Bottom line, DA can increase workload. I happen to disagree with your analysis.

This is a possibly scenario, but DHS is already finding plenty of these folks through their secure communities initiative. And any potential increase will not be very significant and will be off set by the fact that some cases will be admin closed or terminated due to a respondent's eligibility for DA. BTW I haven't seen one case come through that was referred from a failed DA application.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:IJs at most courts are already hearing as many cases as they can stuff in a day, and the most backlogged courts are setting individuals eight years out. Increasing the backlog does not mean that workload increases, it just pushes hearings that much farther out into the future. If you already have every minute of your time booked up through 2019, you're not going to be unduly stressed by suddenly having all of 2020 booked too.

Which court is scheduling individual calendars 8 years out? I think it's 2 years out at the worst courts... although cases may take 8+ years to complete from start to finish.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:27 pm

has anyone heard back from antittrust division field office interviews they did? any idea when we can expect to hear results of our interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:33 pm

I haven't heard back from an ATR field office. I posted this a little upthread, but I've been told that there is some coordination between the field offices and DC - what that means, exactly, I'm not sure. But I think that means we wouldn't hear back until DC is done interviewing and making decisions as well. In past years, that's been shortly before Thanksgiving.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Eek! thanks for your response.

Are you continuing to apply to 2014 clerkships in the mean time??

kellbell

Postby kellbell » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Anyone interviewing with Criminal Tax?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:has anyone heard back from antittrust division field office interviews they did? any idea when we can expect to hear results of our interview?

I had an interview with the NY field office a few weeks back and havent heard anything. I'm assuming that was a first round interview, and if anything theres more to follow? Or is a decision made based off that 1 interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Only 1 interview for antitrust.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Only 1 interview for antitrust.

Oh wow, I had no idea. I thought that was first round. Yikes... hahah.

Vincenzo

Postby Vincenzo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:16 pm

Greetings to all,

I just joined the board and will note that I am interviewing with EOIR/OCIJ this Friday. Good luck to everyone on their upcoming interviews!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:58 am

For people not interviewing with the immigration courts:

I was told that we would receive information directly from the components we are interviewing with before our interviews. Has anyone received that information? If so, how many days before your interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For people not interviewing with the immigration courts:

I was told that we would receive information directly from the components we are interviewing with before our interviews. Has anyone received that information? If so, how many days before your interview?

I think it probably depends on the component. I interviewed with an USAO and didn't get anything from them before the interview, just the faxed interview time from DOJ central. If you got told by that component that they'd contact you, of course, that's a different story.

plumorchid

Postby plumorchid » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:35 pm

Did anyone get an interview with Civil Rights? Stats please.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:11 am

Does anyone know how much weight interviews have on EOIR HP hiring? When I left my interview, I felt really good. However, as I replay it in my head, I am realizing that I think I totally bombed it. Without the interview, I would have a fantastic shot. If the interview is weighed heavily, then I believe I just shot myself in the foot completely. Does anyone have any insight into the process? Do I still have a chance, or should I start focusing entirely on PMF and any other program that is left to maintain my eligibility to apply again?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how much weight interviews have on EOIR HP hiring? When I left my interview, I felt really good. However, as I replay it in my head, I am realizing that I think I totally bombed it. Without the interview, I would have a fantastic shot. If the interview is weighed heavily, then I believe I just shot myself in the foot completely. Does anyone have any insight into the process? Do I still have a chance, or should I start focusing entirely on PMF and any other program that is left to maintain my eligibility to apply again?

First, no, I have no insight into the process, so feel free to skip the rest, which is just me talking. But FWIW: I don't mean to be a downer, but it seems to me that if the interview *wasn't* weighted significantly, they wouldn't bother flying everyone across the country to meet with a ILJ for an hour - they could just talk to people on the phone. I don't know *how* significant it is, but it's clearly got to mean something, because a lot of money is involved.

That said, don't post mortem and second-guess your interview - try to forget about it and move on. It's almost impossible to assess your own performance because you really don't know what they're looking for or how any of the other candidates do - you just don't have enough perspective. (Unless maybe you have something really crazy happen like the stories in the Bad Interview Moments thread - but I doubt you'd walk out of the interview feeling good if one of those had happened!) I think everyone here has stories of getting callbacks/offers out of interviews that seemed to go badly (and not getting them out of interviews that seemed to go brilliantly). You have to just let go and let the roulette ball fall wherever.

But, THAT said, definitely move on to the next thing - focus on PMF, make the best application you can, work on whatever other opportunities come your way. Because you never have an offer until you have an offer. The worst that happens is you have to turn something down.

[Edited to say: or interview with whoever, if you weren't talking about OCIJ, but one of the other sections.]

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:16 pm

I was just wondering for anyone who has interviewed with EOIR office of the Chief Immigration Judge what types of questions they asked?

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:18 pm

Curious as to who interviews for USTP? Do the UST's interview at all or is it entirely the people who work in EOUST? How many interviews and positions of people? Trial attorneys, AGC's, GC, Director, Deputy Director for field ops, etc? Also curious as to which divisions in DC they are interviewing for (Administrative, Consumer Protection, or Appellate)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:10 pm

Good luck to everyone interviewing this week!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:09 pm

has anyone overseas scheduled their interview yet? if so, when is it? they are still trying to figure out when to do mine...it will be remote...they decided not to fly me in. :-(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know how much weight interviews have on EOIR HP hiring? When I left my interview, I felt really good. However, as I replay it in my head, I am realizing that I think I totally bombed it. Without the interview, I would have a fantastic shot. If the interview is weighed heavily, then I believe I just shot myself in the foot completely. Does anyone have any insight into the process? Do I still have a chance, or should I start focusing entirely on PMF and any other program that is left to maintain my eligibility to apply again?

First, no, I have no insight into the process, so feel free to skip the rest, which is just me talking. But FWIW: I don't mean to be a downer, but it seems to me that if the interview *wasn't* weighted significantly, they wouldn't bother flying everyone across the country to meet with a ILJ for an hour - they could just talk to people on the phone. I don't know *how* significant it is, but it's clearly got to mean something, because a lot of money is involved.

That said, don't post mortem and second-guess your interview - try to forget about it and move on. It's almost impossible to assess your own performance because you really don't know what they're looking for or how any of the other candidates do - you just don't have enough perspective. (Unless maybe you have something really crazy happen like the stories in the Bad Interview Moments thread - but I doubt you'd walk out of the interview feeling good if one of those had happened!) I think everyone here has stories of getting callbacks/offers out of interviews that seemed to go badly (and not getting them out of interviews that seemed to go brilliantly). You have to just let go and let the roulette ball fall wherever.

But, THAT said, definitely move on to the next thing - focus on PMF, make the best application you can, work on whatever other opportunities come your way. Because you never have an offer until you have an offer. The worst that happens is you have to turn something down.

[Edited to say: or interview with whoever, if you weren't talking about OCIJ, but one of the other sections.]

Obviously the interviews are important, and weighted a lot, i just wonder if i'm at a disadvantage b/c i'm overseas and my interview is electronic. i was planning to go in-person at my own expense, but it didn't work out...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

What is an ILJ? Do you mean an IJ? I think it is mostly ACIJs that people interview with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is an ILJ? Do you mean an IJ? I think it is mostly ACIJs that people interview with.

Sorry, I meant IJ (was thinking of ALJ, which I'm more familiar with). And by "IJ" I really meant "someone from OCIJ" (because yes, it was an ACIJ who did the interview). I'm not quite up on the lingo yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Obviously the interviews are important, and weighted a lot, i just wonder if i'm at a disadvantage b/c i'm overseas and my interview is electronic. i was planning to go in-person at my own expense, but it didn't work out...

You know, I do think that in-person is best, whenever possible, but a good interview is a good interview. I'm sure they're used to doing them electronically - I wouldn't worry about it. (You're probably better off doing it remotely than interviewing with jet lag!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:37 pm

OK so I know it says that OARM can't tell you who your interviewers will be, but does anyone know if you can find out from the component Hiring Coordinator?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:OK so I know it says that OARM can't tell you who your interviewers will be, but does anyone know if you can find out from the component Hiring Coordinator?

My CDO gave me a number to call to ask about it and that person knew who my interviewer was. I would say ask your CDO.

Return to “Legal Employment”