DOJ Honors 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
anon1313 wrote:anyone who hasnt interviewed yet, have they contacted your references?

What division(s)? It's useless to talk about them generally since they are all over the map re: when they call references. It doesn't make any sense to me to call references after interview selections have been made but before the actual interview, but I guess it could happen.

FYI, I'm pretty sure Antitrust DC has not called (and thus by my reasoning probably won't do it between now and your interview) unless they coordinated with field offices that have called.

when I got offered a job with EOIR previously they called my references less than a week before I got the offer, so I think it's the very last thing they do.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know it's a bit early and interviews haven't started, but does anyone have the inside track on the locations available (and #'s at each) for EOIR this cycle?

last year hiring went down, and it looks like this year it's going up. there's 20-30 immigration courts around the country... there's going to be a lot of openings. care to be specific?

the number of clerks they hire depends on the current number of clerks at a court and the size of the court. The biggest courts - SF, LA, Miami, Chicago, and NYC will have the most openings.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:23 pm

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Notice from Deana Willis online:

Today I issued supplemental interview invitations for the Civil Division, Civil Rights Division, and ENRD. We do not anticipate these divisions inviting any further candidates to interview. We have asked the remaining hiring components to finalize their selections so we can issue the remaining supplemental interview invitations. We do not anticipate any additional selections from the participating U.S. Attorney's Offices. As soon as I know whether the remaining components will select more candidates, I will update this message board.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:29 am

Anyone else with an interview still not received their itinerary? I ranked the first week first and still haven't heard, so I guess that means I didn't get it. It just makes me unreasonably nervous that I haven't heard anything since I faxed my travel survey back.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else with an interview still not received their itinerary? I ranked the first week first and still haven't heard, so I guess that means I didn't get it. It just makes me unreasonably nervous that I haven't heard anything since I faxed my travel survey back.

I just got mine yesterday morning.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:07 pm

Got mine yesterday morning as well

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:06 pm

Are all of you who have gotten your travel itineraries interviewing the first week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are all of you who have gotten your travel itineraries interviewing the first week?

I got mine on the third of October, and my interview is next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Are all of you who have gotten your travel itineraries interviewing the first week?

No I am interviewing the beginning of the second week

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:20 am

No I'm interviewing October 25th and got my itinerary about a week ago (last Monday).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if the ATR field offices make decisions at the same time as DC? I think at least 2 of them have already finished interviewing candidates, so they could possibly make decisions a lot sooner...

Good question. I'd also like to know this. Is it NY and SF that are done?

SF is done.

edit: interviewing at least, don't know re offers.

I interviewed with SF as well. I can't imagine there were more than 6 - 7 interviews given the scheduling (and maybe fewer?) so it looks like a good portion of the interviewees are on TLS!

I've been told that there is *some* coordination between the field offices and DC when extending offers, although it's possible for a candidate to get offers from both a field office and DC. If none of us were told any sort of timeline, I'd imagine that decisions will come out in early-mid November with all the rest.

Has anyone had a second interview with an ATR field office?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:

No I'm interviewing October 25th and got my itinerary about a week ago (last Monday).

Damn. It worries me that I haven't received anything by now. I ranked the first and second week first and second, respectively, and I'm not available half of the last week. But I guess I'm not allowed to call until next Wednesday?

anon5

Postby anon5 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm interviewing with EOIR November 2nd (the last day of interviewing) and I got my notice last week. No travel itinerary though, since I'll be driving.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Good question. I'd also like to know this. Is it NY and SF that are done?

SF is done.

edit: interviewing at least, don't know re offers.

I interviewed with SF as well. I can't imagine there were more than 6 - 7 interviews given the scheduling (and maybe fewer?) so it looks like a good portion of the interviewees are on TLS!

I've been told that there is *some* coordination between the field offices and DC when extending offers, although it's possible for a candidate to get offers from both a field office and DC. If none of us were told any sort of timeline, I'd imagine that decisions will come out in early-mid November with all the rest.

Has anyone had a second interview with an ATR component?[/quote]

You mean a second round? I was under the impression that there was only 1 interview per office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:56 am

official rejection email came today (I was never selected for interviews)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know it's a bit early and interviews haven't started, but does anyone have the inside track on the locations available (and #'s at each) for EOIR this cycle?

last year hiring went down, and it looks like this year it's going up. there's 20-30 immigration courts around the country... there's going to be a lot of openings. care to be specific?

the number of clerks they hire depends on the current number of clerks at a court and the size of the court. The biggest courts - SF, LA, Miami, Chicago, and NYC will have the most openings.

For the folks who interviewed with EOIR today...anyone mind sharing where the openings are in the northeast (DC ---> northward)? Specifically are Hartford, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and D.C. available options?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

For the folks who interviewed with EOIR today...anyone mind sharing where the openings are in the northeast (DC ---> northward)? Specifically are Hartford, NYC, Philly, Baltimore, and D.C. available options?

There's at least 1 opening in Philly.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There's no immigration court in DC - it's in Arlington. There should be one opening in Arlington (5/6 immigration judges, so they usually have 1 first year and 1 second year) BUT that might be taken by a SLIP if they got an offer (that's what happened two years ago). HQ (in Falls Church, VA) usually hires one person, and it's a second year clerk right now so that should be opening.... NYC should have AT LEAST 3-4 new positions open because they only got 2 new clerks this year (they have 8 clerks total right now to put that in perspective). Baltimore MAY have an opening because they have a first year clerk right now.. Hartford has a second year clerk right now so they should be looking to hire someone new. Philly has a second year clerk there right now so next year there should be an opening. Boston definitely won't be hiring because they have 2 first year clerks right now. I can't imagine a court that small would have three clerks.

I should note though that everything is subject to change and the number of clerks an immigration court gets isn't consistent. Philly has one now, but the last year it had two, and the year before that they only had one. NYC also had more last year. Last year's hiring (this year's incoming class) was below average though, and next year's number of openings has gone up, so they should be hiring more clerks this year. This year some small courts lost their clerks entirely. Does that make sense?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

There's no immigration court in DC - it's in Arlington. There should be one opening in Arlington (5/6 immigration judges, so they usually have 1 first year and 1 second year) BUT that might be taken by a SLIP if they got an offer (that's what happened two years ago). HQ (in Falls Church, VA) usually hires one person, and it's a second year clerk right now so that should be opening.... NYC should have AT LEAST 3-4 new positions open because they only got 2 new clerks this year (they have 8 clerks total right now to put that in perspective). Baltimore MAY have an opening because they have a first year clerk right now.. Hartford has a second year clerk right now so they should be looking to hire someone new. Philly has a second year clerk there right now so next year there should be an opening. Boston definitely won't be hiring because they have 2 first year clerks right now. I can't imagine a court that small would have three clerks.

I should note though that everything is subject to change and the number of clerks an immigration court gets isn't consistent. Philly has one now, but the last year it had two, and the year before that they only had one. NYC also had more last year. Last year's hiring (this year's incoming class) was below average though, and next year's number of openings has gone up, so they should be hiring more clerks this year. This year some small courts lost their clerks entirely. Does that make sense?

OP here...thanks for the info. I'm not sure what you mean about first / second year. First year means started in 2012 and second year means started in 2011? If so, how is Baltimore open to hiring if they have 1 first year? Perhaps this suggests they will expand from 1 to 2?

Also, not sure how the whole SLIP thing works and how they could keep a spot open for them. Oh, and I should have been more precise...I live in metro DC, so I know the court is in VA. Was using DC as shorthand b/c it's all DC to me b/c the metro goes there. haha anyhow, thanks for the info...very useful overall.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:39 pm

Anyone happen to know the number of EOIR openings in CA or elsewhere in the 9th circuit? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:40 pm

apparently a friend of mine just discovered that he was notified that he was scheduled for an interview by mistake--good luck with the job search!

wow. devastating.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone happen to know the number of EOIR openings in CA or elsewhere in the 9th circuit? Thanks.

Based off of this years #s, my best guess (see my last long comment about why this is a "guess", albeit an educated one) is that there will be at least: 2-5 in LA, 1 in SD, 2-3 in SF, 1 in Seattle, 0 in Tacoma, 0 in Portland, 0 in Salt Lake City, 1-2 in Eloy, 1 in Florence, 2 in Phoenix, 1 in East Mesa (SoCal), 1 in Las Vegas, and 1 in Tucson.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here...thanks for the info. I'm not sure what you mean about first / second year. First year means started in 2012 and second year means started in 2011? If so, how is Baltimore open to hiring if they have 1 first year? Perhaps this suggests they will expand from 1 to 2?

Also, not sure how the whole SLIP thing works and how they could keep a spot open for them. Oh, and I should have been more precise...I live in metro DC, so I know the court is in VA. Was using DC as shorthand b/c it's all DC to me b/c the metro goes there. haha anyhow, thanks for the info...very useful overall.

First year clerks are called Judicial Law Clerks (JLCs) and second year clerks are called Attorney Advisors (AAs). Right now, Baltimore has one JLC. Baltimore has 5 IJs, and usually there is a ratio of 1 clerk for AT LEAST every 3/4 judges. Last month, the incoming class of JLCs was much lower than the year before. So some courts that had one clerk were left with none. For example, I think fiscal year 2011-2012 NYC had 10-11 clerks (4/5 AA's and 6 JLCs). This year they only got 2 new JLCs, which means there are 6AAs and 2 JLCs. This kind of thing happened nationwide because last year's hiring was much lower. I'm not sure if Baltimore "normally" has 2 clerks, I feel like I remember they did 2011-2012, but I'm not sure. 1 clerk for 5 judges may be fine for their needs... Philly only has 3 judges but during 2011-2012 they had two clerks - not sure why. I have no idea how HQ decides these things.

Basically I'm just making educated guesses here based on past numbers and the fact that this years hiring has gone up.

SLIPs basically can get funnel offers if they do well during the summer, so that would take away spots obviously (they don't have to interview - the summer was their interview). Only certain courts are allotted SLIPs though and SLIPs are offered positions in the court where they summered. I know SLIPs have attempted to request a different court for their clerkship but there's no guarantees (and I think that might actually put their offer in jeopardy, but I'm not positive). I think usually the big courts get SLIPs... but I know the current AA in Arlington was a SLIP, so what do I know. :P

Sorry you're looking for more solid answers than I have. They will give you a list of openings at your interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:apparently a friend of mine just discovered that he was notified that he was scheduled for an interview by mistake--good luck with the job search!

wow. devastating.

Oh, man, this is my NIGHTMARE. Seriously. You'd think they'd just interview the person and reject them rather than having to say it was a mistake he was selected... ugh.

Return to “Legal Employment”