DOJ Honors 2013

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: DOJ Honors 2013

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you handle thank yous for panel interviews where the coordinator wouldn't give you the names in advance and you don't remember them all?

Send a thank you to one person whose name you do remember and ask them to pass your thanks along to the rest of the panel?

(Also, after a SLIP interview, I e-mailed the component contact person and asked for the my interviewers' contact info, to send thank-yous, and they gave it to me. I don't know if that would be possible for HP though.)

anon5

Postby anon5 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you handle thank yous for panel interviews where the coordinator wouldn't give you the names in advance and you don't remember them all?

Well, theoretically you'd ask for business cards for everyone on the panel at the end of the interview. Then you'll be sure to remember them all!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:08 pm

Is anyone who has been through DOJ HP interviews with EOIR willing to give us an idea of what to expect? Thank you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:50 pm

Does anyone know if the ATR field offices make decisions at the same time as DC? I think at least 2 of them have already finished interviewing candidates, so they could possibly make decisions a lot sooner...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if the ATR field offices make decisions at the same time as DC? I think at least 2 of them have already finished interviewing candidates, so they could possibly make decisions a lot sooner...

Good question. I'd also like to know this. Is it NY and SF that are done?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:20 pm

Got my flight info today via e-mail...ENRD - DC Interview

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know if the ATR field offices make decisions at the same time as DC? I think at least 2 of them have already finished interviewing candidates, so they could possibly make decisions a lot sooner...

SF is done.

edit: interviewing at least, don't know re offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Got my itinerary e-mail yesterday. They have me flying in and out on same day, 4-5 hours travel time each direction and departing my city before 6am. Fantastic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got my itinerary e-mail yesterday. They have me flying in and out on same day, 4-5 hours travel time each direction and departing my city before 6am. Fantastic.

Similar to mine. I'm bringing a carryon with pajamas so I can ride home in comfort. At least it is a free flight!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Got my itinerary e-mail yesterday. They have me flying in and out on same day, 4-5 hours travel time each direction and departing my city before 6am. Fantastic.

Similar to mine. I'm bringing a carryon with pajamas so I can ride home in comfort. At least it is a free flight!

What are you going to do with your bag during the interview? I have always been told not to go to interviews with luggage.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What are you going to do with your bag during the interview? I have always been told not to go to interviews with luggage.

I'm planning to take a large valise-type purse. It is impossible to travel for an entire day without bringing something with you. Heck, pajamas will fit in a brief case. There are probably also lockers at the airport.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are you going to do with your bag during the interview? I have always been told not to go to interviews with luggage.

I'm planning to take a large valise-type purse. It is impossible to travel for an entire day without bringing something with you. Heck, pajamas will fit in a brief case. There are probably also lockers at the airport.

I have to bring some kind of a bag, because I'm traveling overnight. So I'll have a briefcase-like purse and a small rolling carry-on (sort of large tote-bag size - in theory it fits under an airline seat). I don't love carrying luggage to an interview, but will probably just do it as the simplest route, since the bag is small and professional-looking. (I could probably find lockers at the airport for the first interview, but the next day I'll be going from hotel to interview to airport, so finding a place to stash the bag is just way too complicated.) But I'm going to steal the ride-home-in-pyjamas idea!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What are you going to do with your bag during the interview? I have always been told not to go to interviews with luggage.

I have to bring some kind of a bag, because I'm traveling overnight. So I'll have a briefcase-like purse and a small rolling carry-on (sort of large tote-bag size - in theory it fits under an airline seat). I don't love carrying luggage to an interview, but will probably just do it as the simplest route, since the bag is small and professional-looking. (I could probably find lockers at the airport for the first interview, but the next day I'll be going from hotel to interview to airport, so finding a place to stash the bag is just way too complicated.) But I'm going to steal the ride-home-in-pyjamas idea!

It's the only way to fly.

jib253

Postby jib253 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:22 am

Has anyone heard from the Asset Forfeiture and Money Laundering Fellowship?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

SF is done.

edit: interviewing at least, don't know re offers.

I interviewed with SF as well. I can't imagine there were more than 6 - 7 interviews given the scheduling (and maybe fewer?) so it looks like a good portion of the interviewees are on TLS!

I've been told that there is *some* coordination between the field offices and DC when extending offers, although it's possible for a candidate to get offers from both a field office and DC. If none of us were told any sort of timeline, I'd imagine that decisions will come out in early-mid November with all the rest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone who has been through DOJ HP interviews with EOIR willing to give us an idea of what to expect? Thank you!

I kind of don't get what you want to know... you interview with someone in EOIR - people who have conducted interviews before for OCIJ - immigration judges, assistant chief immigration judges, board of immigration appeals attorneys, senior law clerks. when you're there you'll be given a sheet of all the available slots for the following year and you'll have to choose your preferences.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Is anyone who has been through DOJ HP interviews with EOIR willing to give us an idea of what to expect? Thank you!

I kind of don't get what you want to know... you interview with someone in EOIR - people who have conducted interviews before for OCIJ - immigration judges, assistant chief immigration judges, board of immigration appeals attorneys, senior law clerks. when you're there you'll be given a sheet of all the available slots for the following year and you'll have to choose your preferences.

I would imagine they were asking if there's anything different or unusual about one of these interviews, compared to your bog-standard legal interview. Any exciting immigration law hypos? On-the-spot figuring-out whether someone's deportable or not based on the INA? (Wouldn't THAT be fun.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I would imagine they were asking if there's anything different or unusual about one of these interviews, compared to your bog-standard legal interview. Any exciting immigration law hypos? On-the-spot figuring-out whether someone's deportable or not based on the INA? (Wouldn't THAT be fun.)

No it was pretty standard, but given the vast range of the folks conducting the interviews as I described, the questions may vary.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Actually, I would love that. Give me an NTA and set me loose! I was mostly wondering whether they are panel interviews, how long they last, whether there are any special questions or other surprises. Thank you!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Actually, I would love that. Give me an NTA and set me loose! I was mostly wondering whether they are panel interviews, how long they last, whether there are any special questions or other surprises. Thank you!

Hee!

(Thanks, anon who's gone through the interviews!)

anon1313

Postby anon1313 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:34 pm

anyone who hasnt interviewed yet, have they contacted your references?

anon1313

Postby anon1313 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:38 pm

B/c i'm flying from so far away and I have two interviews, I have 2 nights in DC. I wonder if they will pick up the tab for both nights or only one? Also, still haven't gotten my actual interview sked, but based on the flights and the information they put out regarding 2 interviews, I suppose they are on the same day. I fly out the next day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:48 pm

I know it's a bit early and interviews haven't started, but does anyone have the inside track on the locations available (and #'s at each) for EOIR this cycle?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:10 am

anon1313 wrote:anyone who hasnt interviewed yet, have they contacted your references?

What division(s)? It's useless to talk about them generally since they are all over the map re: when they call references. It doesn't make any sense to me to call references after interview selections have been made but before the actual interview, but I guess it could happen.

FYI, I'm pretty sure Antitrust DC has not called (and thus by my reasoning probably won't do it between now and your interview) unless they coordinated with field offices that have called.

sheD

Postby sheD » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:22 am

Poster who is interviewing with ENRD - would you be willing to PM me? Thanks!

Return to “Legal Employment”